Monday, December 8, 2014

Make your bed

Ok, so I know I should be thinking about Christmas and all the festivities etc., but I can't help it. I'm eagerly skipping ahead to the new year and thinking about making a quilt for my bed.

I will admit it, there are days when I miss being an interior decorator and helping people design and decorate their dream homes (those of you new to my blog, I lost my job a few years ago). Some things you just can't take out of your personality so you learn to channel them in new directions. ;)


I have been thinking about redecorating my bedroom in the coming year. I am soooooooooo loving this bed at Vivaterra. I will need to save lots of pennies and have lots of yard sales in order to afford something so beautiful. I love the real wood. So much stuff is made in China nowadays and is just a bunch of chemical treated pressboard. ICK! This bed is solid wood. I love that it is a platform bed. I have come to realize that I don't like dust ruffles. I'm a neat freak and I want to be able to vacuum or dust under the bed easily (although, Sabrina likes having her own fort under the bed!). It seems platform beds are becoming all the rage. Plus, not having a foot board is rather nice when making the bed. Can we say EASY!

 So, as I started day dreaming of that bed, I began to think about the kind of quilt I would want to make for it. I'm a quilt maker after all. Those of us who are quilt makers know there is nothing better for a bed than a quilt. Sleeping under a quilt that has been had made with lots and lots of love, joy and happiness is good luck in my opinion!

 Quilts add warmth, charm and character to a bed. A comforter or duvet cover will NEVER compare  for us quilters. 
 There are so many styles to choose from. Are you Bohemian? I could totally see this quilt on my friend, Sarah Maust's bed. Her whole apartment is a wonderful Bohemian style.

 Are you simple and old fashioned? Don't you just love a cozy little place to take a nap. I can smell the fresh air blowing through those curtains and I can hear the birds signing in the trees as a sneak a little nap on a spring day.

 Isn't this a wonderful place to read a story? All that natural light. The simplicity of the color scheme against the complex quilt pattern (all those points!) is something I am drawn to.

 I have noticed over the years that I am drawn to simplistic designs and color schemes. I don't like clutter and I guess I am drawn to quilts that don't have too much in the way of "color clutter."

 Isn't this a fun spot? Can you imagine going on a quilt retreat and getting to stay in a room like this? I would love it! It would be like being a little girl at a sleep over with the bestest of friends!

 I'm drawn to the simplistic textures of this room. It's not overly busy, but at the same time, the texture adds so much interest.

 What is it about red, white and blue? Such a classic and charming color combination.

 Are you eclectic? Do you like to mix and match lots of different things together? I think this room and quilt are great statements of eclectic design.

 While I'm not in love with these "China made" quilts, I am in love with the juxtaposition of the feather comforters and the country quilts. I love how these two styles play off each other to create a fluffy and comforting haven.

 So what about two color quilts? Are you a fan? This room is incredibly calming to me. It makes me think of two sisters sharing a room and sharing secrets in the middle of the night.

 I love this room with it's clean esthetic and linear interest. I love the simplicity of the color scheme too.

 Sleeping porches...I will admit, I have always wanted a sleeping porch. This one takes the cake! The fireplace, the trees, the bed near the windows and that charming simple quilt pattern. Heaven!

 Do you like quilts with a striking design against a contrasting background? This black bed is beautiful with this Drunkard's Path red and white quilt. Such a striking contrast. It simply "POPS" from the room and makes a huge statement.


What about a whole cloth quilt that has been quilted to death and is incredibly soft in texture? Oh the many choices us quilt makers have...

So, which is your favorite? If you were to redecorate your bedroom right now, what would you do? Stay tuned this coming year and I will share my adventure with you. Well...once I make up my mind. ;)

Light, love and hugs,
Michelle

28 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love the idea of the stacked old suitcases (which I have) as a side table. I think a scrappy 9-patch sashed in white would be delightful. I do have my french cottage quilt, but maybe that for the guest room.

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

I need a new quilt for my bed too! I have a gifted top waiting for an appliqué border all around...been two years and I have not done a little more piecing to make it long enough to fit the bed. Once i do that part it will be smooth sailing!! Thanks for the inspiration to get at it!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I so agree with you my friend, about NOT buying things from overseas. Too many chemicals oozing out of the products AND that is one reason why I would rather have a dusty antique or real wood. I too have been thinking about selling our GORGEOUS four-poster bed that also happens to be very HIGH. With my bad hip these days, climbing onto this bed is tough and will only get harder. I have been thinking about getting something simpler.

I LOVE that first photo! Save, save, save until you get exactly what you want! HAVE FUN!!!! Anita

Kate said...

After all these beautiful photos I was ready to pack my bags and move - these rooms are so beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing what you design - have fun.

Heather said...

Such lovely inspiration. I actually love the look of a simple white or off white down comforter on a bed with a quilt folded up on the end of the bed. Add some decorative pillows to match the quilt and it is perfect. I notice that look in many of these pictures. Right now my bedroom quilts are in shades of blue, aqua and barely off white. So restful. I look forward to seeing your new look, I am sure it will be wonderful.

Sparky said...

some of them strike me more than others...and even though i love quits and making them, I don;t have any on our two BEDS....( home and chalet) both have duvets with chenille covers....I love solids in a bedroom and both of our bedrooms are subtle ...romantic and yet very streamlined...one room is in taupes and buttercream and the other in sky-blue grey and reds....

Soooo not much help for you my sweet...but I do know whatever you choose it will be a slice of heaven

paulette said...

I loved your post this morning!! Each picture had something in it that I loved...but it was the China Quilts that I really liked...so much that I pinned it! Loved the feather comforters and those quilts (I was pretending that they were 'real' quilts!!) haha Thanks for that!!
Have a great week!
P

Tina said...

I love ALL of your pictures - even 'pinned' a couple! I sure wish you lived in my part of the country and still worked at interior designing…I would hire you in a heartbeat!!!

Loris said...

So a platform bed is the way to get rid of the dust ruffle...that would be plan A as I hate those things too :-) The beds you showed are gorgeous and the rooms inviting! Happy planning!

Jenny Bonynge said...

Loved all of these different ideas...rather like looking through a home dec magazine of quilty bedrooms. I prefer the
clean, uncluttered look too.

tink's mom said...

I actually own a red and not so white drunkard path that my mom picked up for me years ago at a garage sale. You certainly gave us lots to think about didn't you?

Little Miss Titch said...

these are all beautiful,how do you choose?xx Rachel

Jeanette said...

Oh my gosh. Love them all but what to choose. I think i need a new bed quilt now. :) I think i'd love a sleeping porch too. The one in the photo is beautiful. Hugs,xx

RG said...

Tomorrow is the BIG drawing here for the Estuary quilt and I just KNOW I am going to win and make my bed with that.

But if not, well ...

("Mom .. do I HAVE to make my bed every morning? I just mess it up again for the night. Besides - who will see?")

Carrie P. said...

I do like the first photo and the "eclectic" photo.
You have me very curious.

e said...

So many beautiful quilts, so many decisions to make. I have to tell you though that that last blue one on the bed of your dreams is gorgeous.

I have several quilts in various stages of completion - none on the bed, though I'm a relative newbie in the start to finish department. Looking forward to seeing your adventure unfold.

xoxo

Cobi said...

one thing is for sure: you would go crazy at my place. color and stuf everywhere. and I would prefer a crazy quilt or a medallionquilt, preferably with a rabbit appliqué in the center

Createology said...

Oh the possibilities are endless. I like such a variety but I must say anything blue is my heartthrob. How very delightful to be dreaming and designing your new bedroom for 2015. Sharing Peace and Tranquility...

Lewjacks said...

Lewjacks says,
I live in much more clutter, some by choice, some not so much. But I do love the wooden beds and am in love with this last one with the beautiful blue quilt.

Susan P said...

I love all of the bedrooms. Everything looks so fresh, clean and inviting! Beautiful!

Fiona said...

they all look great for different reasons don't they.... I am defintiely eclectic... or maybe just lost and lack style... I think you would squirm in my house!!! anything goes so long as I like it!! But I do love real wood ...and as real wood in its warm colours... even in our hot climate
Hugz

Fiona said...

oh I don't mean squirm in a horrible way but I think you would probably want to show off pieces better than I do... I am too sentimental to make sure they match...
Hugz

Sparklyjools said...

I would like any of these! Even a fully decorated plain white room with a wooden bed would be wonderful, sigh.... I will live vicariously through you instead, because I know whatever you do will be beautiful...

Lana said...

I loved the sleeping porch and old fashioned quilt...so perfect!...
Whatever your new adventure is, you can only do it if it involves coming to Texas to redo MY bedroom! :)

Deb said...

Lovely quilts Michelle! I am an old-fashioned quilt girl hands down and am really drawn to the lovely airy white bedroom in the fifth photo and the beautiful two color blue and white quilts in the 'sister's bedroom. Can't wait to see what you decide to make for your room!

Unknown said...

So many beautiful quilts, difficult to choose a favourite. A Winding Ways quilt in 2 colours for my bed will be the big project next year...or maybe the year after as well. Cana't wait to see what you decide on.

Rosa said...

There are spectacular quilts.Hard to choose only one fav!

Allie said...

I don't like "matchy", so I guess my style would be eclectic - or maybe just handed down from grandma, lol!!! Forties and fifties decor for me!!! Although I'd take any one of those rooms!

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...