Wednesday, December 11, 2013

My second PHD and something to look forward to

I found it. My second PHD. I knew it was around here somewhere. If you are wondering what PHD stands for, read the post from Monday.


This piece was started back in 2001 when I was building my home. Honestly, it feels like yesterday. While this is 12 years old, I can be happy with the fact that at least I only have two "Projects Half Done." As a quilter you know that's down right amazing! hee,hee,hee. ;)


This quilt was part of a round robin with some friends. I created this part and then it was passed on to the next person in the group to add their part. Seems I've been stuck on the word love, bunnies and hearts for a long time. :)


Each month would meet at a members house for dinner.


The member would show what they added to the other members quilt. However, you as the owner were not allowed to see. It was a secret until the end. Then, we would hand off the quilt to the next member and another round would be added.


Around and around the quilt was passed.


Each member adding another section.


Until the final month when we all went out for a fancy dinner and had the big reveal. Oh what fun it was!

I started to hand quilt this piece all those years ago and then in the true nature of a quilter, I got sidetracked with other projects. I've decided to rip out the hand quilting and just finish it off by machine. It's small enough that I can handle the machine quilting. Anything larger than this gives me a migraine and a backache.


When I was photographing this quilt for today's post, I remembered how much I looked forward to each month spent with friends and creating something fun and mysterious.


I think that's why I'm looking forward to Fellowship of the Flowers. But, instead of once a month, we will have something every week to look forward to. I can't wait! I'll tell you more about it next Wednesday.

xx,
Michelle and the Bunnies

20 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a lovely piece - how could you let this one sit for so long? I really love the dresden basket with the 3-d flowers and braided handle - how sweet.

Christine M said...

Your quilt is gorgeous Shell.

Jeanette said...

Gorgeous phd. Love it. Hugs, xx

Fiona said...

thats a really sweet quilt and I think you will be happy when it's all done...
Hugz

margaret said...

so good to read that you are going to finally! finish this quilt, it must be full of lovely memories

Anonymous said...

its gorgeous Shell,love it.xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning precious friend and HOLDER OF TWO PH.Ds! teeheheheheheh.....wow, I've seen my husband do his Ph.D and ME? I've had several Ph.Ds of your kind for over 31 years of marriage now! I LOVE THAT QUILT with the bunny profiles and carrot! Do you know that years ago, I started a Beatrix Potter quilt, and every square was a beautifully put together "page" from the story of Peter Rabbit? But in our move to Minneapolis, it was lost.....

Wishing you a perfect day sweet friend. Anita

Kate said...

This quilt is so beautiful!!!! I love that dresden basket.

linda said...

Beautiful and so full of memories!

jsews said...

I LOVE this quilt. Too bad it wasn't a pattern we could purchase. . . Congratulations on only 2 PHD's - I am hoping to tackle all mine in 2014. Love your work.
(We met at Fran's Sewing circle in Wilmington, where I work, a while back.)

Denise SA said...

A very beautiful quilt bunnies are just so lovable

Heather said...

Such a great quilt and special reminder of time spent with friends. I look forward to seeing what mystery you have planned for us!

Sparklyjools said...

One of the nicest RR's I've seen!x

Judy1522 said...

What a beautiful quilt and a fun way to spend time with friends.

Jade said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! I have enough PHDs to stock a university--now if I could just find the time and inclination to get them all done, I'd have space for more stuff! :D

RG said...

Quit bugging us - we are ALL working feverishly on our PHDs!!!

JudyCinNC said...

The special "feeling" of that quilt will always be with you. I can so relate to the anticipation of each month's event when my Golden Girls group would meet. A wonderful example of the love and friendship you gather around you and the joy you bring to others. I love the story behind this quilt. Be sure to post a completed picture ... Judy C in NC

Anonymous said...

What a lovely quilt! The colors are perfect and of course you can never go wrong with hearts and a bunny or two, or three... :D
Can't wait to hear all about the Fellowship of the Flowers...
Hugs,
Beth P

Createology said...

This will be such a wonderful memory quilt for you to enjoy. I think it is very exciting to have only two PHD's. Friendship of the Flowers has me totally intrigued. December Delights Dear...

Little Miss Titch said...

it is truelly beautiful Shell,xx Rachel

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...