Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Part III of Across the Pond - The Samplers

Hi ya! I must say, I am enjoying writing Part III of this adventure. As you know, I am a textile artist, author and instructor. I simply love inspiring creativity in my students. 

Well, this teacher was truly inspired by the incredible embroidery work that was on display at the Montacute House. Talk about perfect timing for my trip!

Here is a mirror featuring incredible stumpwork. 






I love the chair cushion and

look at this duvet cover!



I'm going to let the rest of the photos speak for themselves. Below each photo is a description. Be sure and check out the dates! It simply blows my mind how old these are. 














































I hope you enjoyed this creative journey. I'll see you back here next week with a tour of Stourhead and the Manor House in the Cotswolds. 

Light, love and hugs,
Michelle and the bunnies

9 comments:

kc said...

WOW! The colors! The stitches! The designs! Love those mermaids, what's that say about me? I think maybe nothing good :(

Stunning works, and soooooo old!

sandi s said...

Beautiful hand work!! Thank you for all the pictures. Hugs,

Jeanette said...

Oh my, what fabulous, beautiful textiles. What a lovely experience it would've be to see them. Hugs, xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Shell, you were in YOUR element!!!! Isn't it amazing to see the tedious work done way back in those days? What a joy - and I can't wait to see your journey through the Cotswolds, my dream place!

Nancy Page said...

Thank you for sharing this amazing collection of needlework! It is truly beautiful and fascinating. It is unbelievable what was done in days gone by.

Laura Bullinger said...

Thank you for posting the antique needlework pics. I am searching for a place to display my collection of antique handmade lace collars from the Late 18th / Early 19th Century. I have hundreds of them and displayed a few at my local library in a glass cabinet. If anyone can advise me on a place that is willing to accept a portion of admission in lieu of rental fees, please reply! Thanks!

Createology said...

Oh My Goodness! When Stitching was a real skill and treasured by society. Serene stitching to this day is a skill and a treasure. Shell you had such a lovely trip across the pond. <3

Kathy said...

These samplers are wonderful! Can't wait to see your next post. I'm going to the Cotswolds this summer and can't wait. Hope I can find a sampler exhibit like this in my trip.

Woo said...

Hi Michelle, it’s been a delight to read your blog. I happened upon it after browsing Pinterest and coming across pictures of your beautiful work. I live in the north of England, in Bronte/Gentleman Jack/Happy Valley country. Your photos of your journey in the UK have had me planning some trips with my long-suffering husband. Well, after Storm Dennis has finished its path of destruction up here. Keep on blogging - it’s good to read.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...