Monday, May 12, 2008

Today's saying is "Frou Frou"






Ahhhh, my three favorite colors, pink, yellow and green. I just love this combination. Those of you that know me, know my house is a haven or roses, rabbits and these three fabulous colors. I never tire of them. They're so soothing, comforting and peaceful.

So why is it that this book I made at Art and Soul has blue and purple? Well, because it was the first class I took and I went with the flow of what Beth mixed up in the containers. Because most artists like bright, vibrant, vivid colors. Because most of the inks and paints that the instructors brought for us to use were not soft and "frou, frou." Because, unlike everyone else, I'm a "frou frou" artist! However, every class after this one, my artwork was pink, yellow and green and well... very "frou frou." It was actually quite comical because several gals were in the other classes with me and remarked on my elegant, soft colors and the pink. They even commented on how my art matched my rosey, pink, "frou frou" apron. I'm sure they may have been secretly sneering or puking just a little as I was the only one in all of the classes with this type of art, but I truly didn't care. I am who I am. After all, I'm a proud member of Make Mine Pink http://www.makeminepink.com/ I love my pink sisters!


However, with all that said, I truly love this book even if it is blue and purple. All the pages are handmade. We did a color wash technique and dried the pages on plastic. The outside of the book was a different technique with paper paste, rubber stamps, stencils and color washes. It was messy. It was sticky and it was so much fun. The book was hand stitched together and the biding has decorative beads that I sewed onto it. It's the first book I ever made and it was fabulous. I'm sure some of you don't quite get it (like my darling husband), but it's just a book of pretty papers and designs. It's art, not a novel. It's pretty, that's it. Our instructor, Albie Smith, was awesome! What a fabulous lady. She was very proud of us and we were proud of ourselves. The process was so much fun that I want to make another book. Of course, this one will be pink, yellow and green and just scream, you guessed it, "frou frou."
Have a good week,
Shell
This week IGF knowing who I am and liking myself anyway and the family that lost their home to a tornado yesterday found their pet bunny safe and sound hopping around the destroyed living room.

13 comments:

Carolyn Kocman said...

oh, michelle...that is beautiful. what a cool project. i too love those colors! you must have had such fun creating that.

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Michelle ~ That is amazing and beautiful !! It looks like a fun project ~
xoxo,
Lori

Patricia said...

Michele, that is really neat! Seems like it would be a fun thing to learn. I love homemade paper, just never tried to make it!

Pat

Unknown said...

How very pretty Michelle! Love what you have created. The colors are great too! WTG!
XO
Janet
Janet's Creative Pillows

Janet L Christian said...

That is a beautiful altered book, I love the colors too!

gail said...

Hi Michelle, your book is beautiful. You did a great job. You should make lots more. I have to share, all of my friends say my style is foo foo fluffy. lol I am glad you found MMP to be frou frou anytime you want. lol luv, gail

Anonymous said...

Michelle

I love your colorful books. They are beautiful.

Hope your having a wonderful evening.

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Eileen & Karen said...

What a fun class and project. I love handmade papers and books! Thanks for sharing!
Eileen
www.forgetmenotdreams.com

Lilli Blue said...

Green is my favorite color but don't tell anyone. LOl Nice job
lilli

Finding Grace, Going Mobile said...

Hi Michelle,
Wow, the first thought that came into my head when I saw the top page (blue) was that it is what the color of going to heaven will be like as we near the light....I do get your book of papers. I am addicted to paper, I need an intervention. I started to a Paper Anonymous meeting but had to use the ladies room and got distracted by the paper towel holder, lol. Oops, I really typed that.
Theresa @ Cottage Violets

Susie said...

Hi Michelle! Thanks for sharing your beautiful art. We ladies can never have enough frou frou!
Susie ~The Polka Dot Rose~

Deb said...

HI Michelle...your book is just beautiful....I love the blue and purple colors!

Pink hugs,
Debbie

kath@retromantic antiques said...

The books are great. I would love to take a class like that. and I say embrace your Frou Frou ness...k

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...