Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thoughts on Thursday...Feeling a bit Squirrely

I want to first start off by saying that Thursday's posts are going to be uplifting, happy, fun quotes and sayings. But, that will have to wait until next week because of the things that transpired today.

I got all my chores and errands done early. I was soooo excited that I was going to see my stylist, Desiree, today. I haven't been to see her since March! I had David trim my hair with craft scissors as we all know you don't use the good sewing scissors on anything but fabric! So we used the crappy craft scissors...need I say more. Next, I also used the hair color from Walmart. I can't paint the walls or pictures, what makes me think I can paint my hair properly. Again...need I say more.

So, I just get home from errands, unload my pretty "decorator" shopping bags of their groceries and head to the bunny mobile all excited about my special treat of a professional "fixing" of my hair. As I go down the steps I look over at the neighbors kiddie pool. It's one of those pools that blows up to be about 3' deep. Something is swimming in it....a snake?
I go over to peek.
It's a squirrel in the pool! A cute little squirrel! The little critter keeps dunking under the water because it is exhausted! I have my shopping bags in hand and I stick them in front of him or her in the water. It tries with all its might to grab on, but keeps falling off. After the second attempt, the squirrel sinks! I mean sinks to the bottom of the pool! I freak and panic and throw my arms in the pool, grab the squirrel by the tail, to which it grabs my hands. I get my hands around it and pull it out of the water yelling, "oh you poor little.....ouuuuuuchhhhie mama!"
The little bugger bit into my finger!!! It had a death grip on my finger with it's fangs!!!
I didn't want to send it flinging through the air to have my finger ripped off, so I held on to it. It's fangs were in my finger until it's feet hit the ground. I said, "you have got to let go of my finger!!!" It did, looked at me and then hopped away under the neighbors deck. I figured it was ok if it was able to bite the crap out of me and hop away.

I looked down at my finger. Blood everywhere!! OMG!!! I ran in the house and poured rubbing alcohol and peroxide on it. Swabbed it with and antiseptic wipe and put a band aide on it. Then it hit me...my hair appointment! I'm going to be late! Then it hit me...do squirrels have rabies? My hairdo will take 2 hours. What is the "window" of time before my arm will swell up and I will start foaming at the mouth? Do I have enough time for the color at least???? I call my neighbor who has lots of squirrels in her yard as she feeds them. She's also a nurse. "Hi Barb, it's Shelly. Weird question for you. Do squirrels have rabies and if you get bit by one do you have enough time to get your hair done?" You can imagine her reply. hee,hee,hee.

So I get in the car and go to my stylist. I tell her I got bit by a squirrel and should go to the doctor can she squeeze me in later. She's a very busy woman and is about to have a baby any minute and I'm going out of town tomorrow, so time is of the essence! She first calls a friend of hers that does wildlife rescue. The friend says I should go to the doctors. Come back at 5:00. Yippee.

I go to the urgent care and spend 3 hours. The doctor is an older gentleman with a serious demeanor. By the end of the visit I had him laughing like crazy about the squirrel and my dilemma with hair color. He said I was the best patient and most interesting one he had had in a while. In fact, I had the entire staff cracking up.

What I learned (in case you ever get bit by a squirrel) is that they do not carry rabies, but the bite will hurt like crap and can become infected so you should go to the doctor. However, treating it with peroxide and rubbing alcohol will provide enough cleansing to give you a 2 hour window should you need to see your hair stylist. :)

OK...so now it's late and I'm really hungry. Anybody got any nuts?
By the way...my hair looks fabulous!

42 comments:

RG said...

I guess the squirrel is happy too!

Allie said...

WOW - what a day! That was not nice of that squirrel to bit you after you so kindly rescued him, especially since you had a hair appointment! Glad to know everything turned out ok.

Jade said...

Glad to hear all is well, but where's the pics of the new 'do?

Annalisa - LISA LIBELLE said...

Hello my friend! We are so happy. Our "Schnabola" rabbit have a new partner. She is not yet alone. We send you a big hug and kiss us please Sugie & Razzy...so sweet the both!!! Lisa Libelle

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Sounds hilarious! Bet you need a lay down after a day like that!

Sea Witch said...

OMG, I'm rolling...this is one of the best squirrel and stylist stories I have heard in a very long time. Sea Witch

tfangel said...

I feel bad for laughing, but i'm glad everyone (squirrel included) is alright. ;)

Megan Chamberlain said...

You had me rolling on the floor laughing with your story. I hope your finger is feeling better and I am sure the squirrel thanks you. I know how sore your finger is, last year I came home and found a squirrel spread eagled on the front path, he had fallen off the roof of our two storey house. Needless to say when I tried to pick him up his teeth clamped on my finger, really really sore.
At least you got to your hair stylist at the end of all this.

Barb said...

The thanks you get for trying to rescure the poor creature. Glad you are okay and got your hair done to boot.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
That is a great story. I do expect that squirrel to return the favor and take you out to lunch or something. It's the least he can do after you saved his life and all. HAHAHAHa

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh you had me laughing first thing this morning! I can just picture it now LOLOLOL Thanks for the great story and hope your finger feels better today.

Tudy said...

Wow, we also have a lot of them in our yard but have never needed to rescue one in any way. Hope you finger heals well and quickly.

Hef's Mom said...

Haha! Only you Shell! Well....I'd probably do it too! So glad it wasn't a snake! P.S. Hef is going to put a surprise for you on our blog if I can find it!
my word verification today is storm and man does it look like stormy weather today!

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Only you can get bit by a squirrel and have everyone laughing ! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you are so like me. My son and I watched a 5 foot bull snake cross the road only to see it go into our window well chasing a baby bunny which had fallen in there. So now my son is telling me I have to save the bunny. Sigh...ok. Now I have no fear of snakes so that is the good part. I am afraid of the bunny having rabies or something. LOL. So I get the rake pull out the snake and let it go and then crawl down into the window well to get the bunny. I got gloves on just in case, scoop him up and then deposit him in a hole that I know has rabbits hoping that is where he is from. Everyone survived and mom was the hero. heehee love happy endings.

Jan M said...

Shame on that ungrateful squirrel! So sorry about the throbbing finger, but so glad your hair looks marvelous! Amazing what a few hours in a styling chair can do for our spirits. I am sure the clinic's staff is also thankful for a few extra smiles and laughs in their day.

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

Your story made my morning...had a good chuckle at your expense...sorry! Hoping you have a better day today! Thanks for sharing. Susan

Lisa said...

It was really nice of you to save that squirrel. Try not to be too hard on him, I'm sure he was very scared, kind of having a rough day himself, and now on top of drowning, someone's pulling his tail? He didn't know you were only doing it to save him.

I'm pretty sure where I am squirrels DO carry rabies. In fact, that was always our primary rabies concern growing up when we played outside. "Stay away from the squirrels, or you'll get rabies and die."

Diane H said...

Way to rescue, Shell! Hope your finger is feeling better. Off to read the squirrels blog....

The French Bear said...

Shell, you are so funny, I mean I hope your finger is okay and you are really alright!!!! You are so crazy...but the important thing is that you got your hair done!!!!
Seriously you crack me up and I have to hang on to a pillow when I laugh!!!!!
Hugs,
Mags

Janet said...

Thanks for making me laugh this morning! Hope your hair looks great!! :)

Jillayne said...

You're a nut! How funny is that story? I have a friend here just like you - makes dilemmas out of things no one else thinks about and cracks up everyone she encounters - a laugh a minute and I think you are the same! Love that story! So I thought each day was my favourite post, but this one is hands down the best! I'm already looking forward to tomorrow. ANd the hair thing? So me except I used nail scissors. And my appt. is next Tuesday - hopefully I'll get fabulous hair like you did but without the drama!

Annie Louise said...

Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard. So sorry about your finger, but your telling of this story is great. I am glad your hair looks great. I will never forget, I used crappy little school scissors, you know, the kind you use like in kindgergarten, with the round ends so no one will stab themselves (or others. I used these dull scissors on my bangs, when I was about ten years old (secretely of course didn't want my mom to know). Anyway you can just imagine how my bangs turned out :( Once again hope your finger is doing better, and sooooo glad your hair turned out good.
Take care,
Jeanette

Mandy Saile said...

OMG...you are to funny:D And THANK YOU for saving the drowning squirrel...a chickie who would do that without a 2nd thought to her own finger saftey:D is my kind of gal:D XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO:D

Patty C. said...

ROFLOL - I'm glad you sacrificed yourself to save the squirrel - I'm sure you both will recover rapidly :)
Take Care

The Fab Furs said...

Karma prevails in the end.

Sparklyjools said...

I just got back and read your post - well sweetie, this could only happen to you! Even though the little rascal was a totally ungrateful ***!! you did a really brilliant thing trying to save him. Hope your poor finger is better - and that the hairdo is worth it!x

Annette Tait said...

gosh what an event!
thank you so much for taking the time to save that dear little squirrel - he was letting you spread the word about squirrel bites, just incase anyone should ask :) and I bet he was so exhausted after his ghastly swim that biting your finger was his big hope of getting out of there for good! (those pools are a real hazard!)
I bet your hair looks wonderful! and I agree with you about the fabric scissors - I guard my pair carefully too!

Clovie Boy said...

I think your Thursday post was totally uplifting! Look at how many of us are laughing.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Well--we are "both" in pain today--but a least you got a new hair do out of your adventure---all I got to do was "read" instead of so much sewing!!!
Thank you for saving the squirrel--I do believe that was his way of saying thanks too--he thinks your finger was just a bite of 'sweetness" in his life's adventures--can you picture him telling all the other squirrels about being saved by a human!!!!!
Loved every detail of your story!!!
thanks for sharing it!!
Hugs, Di

ytsmom said...

OMG! Too funny. Glad that you rescued the squirrel, also that your hair looks great.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Shell:
You cracked me up! I know the subject is squirrel and nuts, but there really is no pun intended. I'm so glad you're ok. I learned something today, too. Squirrels = no rabies. Good to know, although I can't imagine myself being in your position today.
Now, for the important thing...You'd better post a photo of your new do, girlfriend!
Talk with you soon.
xoxo
Donna

Debbi said...

You tell the best stories!

SheilaC said...

You had me laughing like crazy with this story, Shell!!!

I am SO glad you are okay and that the squirrel is okay too!!

Your hair DOES look beautiful... when I was looking at you and your niece I noticed how much you (and your hair) look alike!

SheilaC

StitchinByTheLake said...

Michelle I laughed and laughed. And then I shared your post with a youth director here who has had 4 of her kids get sick while on this mission trip (one had to have an appendectomy this week!) She needed a laugh, and you provided! blessings, marlene

Jindi's Cottage said...

ROFLOL!!!!
We don't have (a) squirrels, or (b) rabies (thank goodness!) Down Under here in Aussieland but should I ever venture to your hemisphere I'll bear your wise words in mind - or maybe I'll just avoid squirrels!
OMG, you did make me laugh...glad your hairdo got all sorted, after all that you deserved to look fabulous.

Debora Hoffmann said...

Oh! Shell! Ouchie! Your good deed did not go unpunished. Hope your hand is feeling better now...and so glad your hair is looking fabulous. :o)

Jenny of Elefantz said...

You know you are totally insane, don't you!!? Must be why we're friends. Nutty people attract nutty animals...that's the moral of this story. Love ya, Michelle!! :-)

Katie :o) said...

Too funny! I have an unusual personality quirk... the more nervous I am, the funnier I get. Need I say that my gynecologist thinks I'm a hoot??? Usually have the entire staff in stitches by the time I scurry out of there.... Then there was the time I had a serious virus go to my heart and cause a wee bit of (thankfully temporary) damage. The unsuspecting nurse had verify that I knew what I was there for during one proceedure. Yup! Sure do!... cardiac catheterization, liposuction and a tummy tuck! (Didn't get away with those second two! Dang!)

catherine said...

hehehehe great tale Shell!!!
Those squirrels look real cute but I am sure they are like our koalas and roos - all furry and cute as can be! BUT they have sharp teeth and claws!
xo Cath
Hope your fingie is feeling better!

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

OK, just now reading this squirrel post and cracking up -- sounds like something I would do! Except the hair appt. part... one of my least favorite things to do!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"I Am SOOO SORRRY to be Laughing at your pain"!!! BUT I can't help it. This is TOO FUNNY! Although it's too close to the actual event MAYBE someday you too will laugh at it. WHAT A LUCKY,LUCKY Squirrel, anyone else would have thrown it or shook it off. You were OH SO KIND to him! My sister in law has a chipmunk that actually goes INSIDE the tube of her squirrel-proof feeder and then eats himself "FAT" and can't get out. She has to open up the feeder and let him out every time...I have a picture of this somewhere, I'll send it to you.
Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this with us...
Kiss for your boo boo!
Hugs, Donna

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...