Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Bubble

Hello dear friend. I know it's been a month, but I do hope this note finds you well in this strange new world we are living in.

I have been very busy with work. My classes have all been canceled, but luckily, I have a website business that I have been growing for the last ten years. Since I work at home alone and do everything by myself anyway, I have been able to remain open. Some friends have been asking me to do videos, but my fingernails and hands are a dried up mess right now from all the hand washing and hand sanitizer. So, I'm holding off on that for a while, but will be making some eventually and I'm looking forward to sharing some inspiration.

If you are looking for something fun and creative to do, hop on over to my shop. I'm selling off all my class supplies which includes Valdani thread, Beekeeper Pincushion kits, embellishment kits, wool felt charm packs and I my last box of my book. I find staying busy with creative things helps during this time. Hop on over HERE. Thank you to everybunny who has and continues to support my small business. You are appreciated more than you will ever know.














Back in January, I went to the local Arbor Society tree sale. I gave them a donation and received 5 little trees. I'm super excited that each of them has wee little leaves! Yaaaaaaaay! This one is some sort of cherry tree. It gets pretty big, but will take years to grow.


Then I had a lovely surprise! Mama turtle laid eggs in my flower bed near the garage. She picked the perfect spot as it is safe here. I'm keeping an eye it and hopefully sometime between late June and early August the babies will hatch.


It's fascinating to watch them dig the hole and "plant" the eggs. When she was finished, she headed back to the ditch near my neighbor's yard that leads back to the marsh land behind our homes.


When she got to their yard, I decided to give her a first class flight to the ditch. Mainly because I didn't want the neighbor's kids catching her and wanting to keep her as a pet. I was the same way as a child, but as an adult I know to let nature be. We do more harm and can kill them trying to keep them as pets.


Next, these are some gorgeous sights of Spring from my neighborhood walks.






I must say I have really enjoyed my new sunroom during this time. First, it's so nice not to have my furniture covered in pollen for weeks. Second, it's the perfect spot for reading and an afternoon nap on Sundays. Looking out at the trees is so peaceful. Sabrina has a bed under the couch and loves to lay there while looking out the windows at the birds and squirrels.


David and I enjoy having our Sunday dinner on the back deck. Hearing the owls and birds and watching the squirrels run around is the most wonderful thing. I made my veggie sausage with spinach and green pepper the other night. I can't drink wine anymore (makes me sick as all get out) so I now enjoy Kombucha, which is better for me anyway. ;)


I have worked from home for ten years so it's not hard for me and I love it. I count my blessings every single day that I get to be here with my babies. Of course, they spend most of their time all snug in their beds and refuse to help me with any kind of packaging or computer work. hee,hee,hee.




Happy Hannah Day was May 2. My unwanted Easter bunny is somewhere around 11 years old and has been with me for 9 years. Even though my sweet girl has arthritis, she still dances for her salad in the morning. She is just precious and is proof that bunnies are a long term commitment and are not disposable/starter pets for children. In truth, I was really happy that pet stores weren't selling bunnies this year so my local rescue wouldn't be overrun again in the summer. It's the saddest thing.


We have been on "Stay at Home" orders for almost 6 weeks now. I only go to the post office and the grocery store and wear a mask and practice social distancing. Social distancing is so easy that even bunnies can do it, but there are others who are clueless.


After a recent trip to the post office and observing the various people in there and in the parking lot, I drove home having an anxiety attack about it all. I came to the realization that people are going to do what they want to do. I have no control over any of them, only myself. I will continue to trust science, scientists and facts and simply do the best I can to protect myself and others.


My favorite place in the world has always been my home. It's my safe haven and now more than ever it's my bubble where, if only for a few moments, the world fades away and there is love, kindness and simple things to be grateful for all around me.


I hope you too have a bubble and stay safe.

Light, love and hugs,
Michelle

24 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love your little babies!

Sharon said...

Lovely post! I feel the same way about my home!

Shirley said...

Good Evening, I have enjoyed catching up with you tonight. I thought I would read a while in blogland and catch up with some of my friends. I don't go out much other than my part-time job which there are only three of us that work there. I am in an area all by myself and sometimes there all by myself. I have been very fortunate, but I don't do my grocery shopping. It is done by my daughter and son-in-law. I am staying healthy. Is your valdni thread like what I use for my embroidery? Love you your friend Shirley from Missouri.

Jeanette said...

Lovely post Shell. As I'm used to being home being in lockdown/isolation hasn't been difficult for me to deal with. When I go out & about & I see people not following the rules I get so annoyed but like you realise that I can't do much about them but I can make sure that I keep my distance & obey the rules. Society now is sure different & I'm not looking forward to the relaxing of things as I don't want society to go back to what it was pre-virus. Hugs to you all, xx

KittyAnn said...

Always love seeing your fur babies! <3 It seems like such a long time we've been 'shut ins'... it's harder for some to remain isolated. I won't know how to act whenever we get the go ahead to *gather* again! hahaha I too get anxious feelings when I go out once a week for food and the post office but do as you and worry bout me and wear my mask! See you soon! Hugs from afar, Ani

quiltingtaylormade said...

Beautiful post Michelle. Very interesting and I love your fur babies. Indeed we now live in a very different world. Your home is just gorgeous and I wish I was neater like you. So sorry about the development beyond your house. Sometimes “progress” isn’t progress at all. Love you!

Sherri said...

It was so nice to catch up with you Michelle! I love seeing your bunnies, they are adorable! My bubble has been my home also. I have a compromised immune system, so needless to say I rarely go out. I have been knitting, painting watercolors, reading, organizing closets and rooms, room painting, sewing, etc. I'm very comfortable at home :)!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely post Shell. We have been in isolation since early March and as our Gov. calls a 'pause' as we phase into the re-opening by counties in the state. I was a stay home person any way as care taker of my Mom since her stroke. I did have three days a week that I did in-home quilt classes - I miss those gals. I do the local errands and shopping for a couple of community elders as they fear going out. We all support each other and our small businesses in this small community - porch drop offs and curb side pick ups are working.

kc said...

Ah, yes, good to hear from you and see all your lovelies... Colors, baubles and furries! How sweet of you to fly mama turtle, and didn't she know a safe haven!! God bless you and all the critters!

I have been staying in our bubble too, always said, I could be happy if I never personally saw another person, ever. As long as I can sew, and pet the dog, and bake, I'm good. We went out to grocery today, and I felt like I had cooties crawling over me by the time we were done. Came home, washed our clothes and masks and took showers! Stay well and safe!!

sandi s said...

I’m so happy to see your blog today!! I love my home too, it’s my favorite place to be. I have four little wiener fur babies to keep me company. I think it’s so neat about the turtle. If you get to see the babies it will be so cool. You’ll be on turtle watch. Take care. Hugs,

Crafty Green Poet said...

How wonderful to have the turtle laying eggs so close to your home! Lovely flowers and photos of your furry friends! I know what you mean about some people not following social distancing rules!

Susie said...

Hi Michelle lovely to see all your pictures of your home and neighbourhood and of course the fur babies. We, too, are in our own bubble in Derbyshire and certainly feel that our home is our castle at the moment. We have been in Lockdown now for seven weeks and I have now been out since. We get our groceries delivered so only go out for walks usually in the evening when it is quieter. DH is still working as a lot of our engineering work is for the gas industry and NHS parts which is obviously helping, however our Boys are both furloughed at the moment!!

I have used the lockdown to get lots of jobs completed around our home and garden. We have trimmed trees, tidied and cleaned our garage and attic, I have completed all the Spring Cleaning. I have been baking and trying new recipes for dinner (although I think they are now fed up with my cooking!!!) as well as quilting and sorting out family pictures/memory books etc!!!

We, too, work from home so life really is very different for me except for going out. It will be nice to go for a drive eventually when we are allowed.

Stay safe

Hugs & Love Susie x

Elly D said...

You live in such a beautiful place Michelle. I enjoyed your post and also seeing the fur babies especially those bunny butts ��. Keep safe xx

Annmarie said...

Such a lovely and positive post. I actually am finding the time to clean and straighten my house, do puzzles and play Yahtzee with hubby and, of course, stitch. I miss the hugs and visits from friends and family but keeping all safe will allow lots of time for that soon. Take care and be safe

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning, SHELL!

I am loving everything about this post, but of course I love all your posts. However, I connect with you in so many ways and my love for nature and just hanging and being cozy and working at home are more ways that help me connect with you.

I agree that keeping wild animals as pets is a mistake. As much as I love horses for example, if I had one, I would not ride it but just have it to let run free, to connect with, to "cuddle" with! LOL - Oh how fun it must be to witness Mrs. Slowpoke the turtle bury her eggs; to watch nature do it's thing is a daily marvel. We look out our window constantly to watch the birds fly in to build their nest, to watch the wild bunnies come at exactly dinner time (I think they hear the pots and pans in my kitchen) and to sit on our back deck. I wish we could enclose our deck with windows so we wouldn't have to deal with that pollen!

Enjoy your days my friend.

Laura Bullinger said...

That was a gentle post focusing on nature. I'm glad that you are able to continue running your business in this crazy climate! God willing, we'll get past it soon and return to normal-cy with a large dose of gratitude.

DIGBY said...

Always enjoy hearing from you. How exciting to have turtle eggs close by. I hope you can get pictures when they hatch and share them with us. And yes, I do have a bubble. Not quite as lovely as yours, but we like it. We have a large back yard so Digby (our dog) has plenty of room to roam. At almost 13 he doesn't roam as quickly as he used to but he still likes to go to the very back of the yard and smell up everything.

Can't wait to hear what you have in mind for your new adventure down the rabbit hole!

RG said...

Nice post and glad to hear all is well.

In 3rd grade we had show and tell and my friend Tommy stood up and said he was going to bring his pet turtle but it died that previous night. He was a bit teary eyed and he said "But he was good while he lasted!" Been my motto every since.

We got arbor day trees when we first moved here in Chez Bow. One was a crepe myrtle (?) which is not a Pac. NW tree for sure. Another three were bald cyprus which are not at all native here. But they grew and continue and are large now. They are like an evergreen and very showy but the needles all go brown and it gets "bald" in the fall and then looks dead until about 2-weeks ago when the little green needles are starting to poke out. Very inspiring!

Our plans to go to the Oregon Coast - Manzanita - later this month won't work, they won't let us in there. So we are coming to your place. The sun room will be just fine. We do cats and bunnies.

Createology said...

My home is definitely my sanctuary. So many people are out and about and not wearing masks. We are one of the states that are a hot spot now so I shall stay vigilant and remain in my home except for critical doctor appointments or groceries. My curiosity is eagerly awaiting your new adventure announcement. Loving Sabrina and the Bun Buns. Staying Well is Essential!

Little Miss Titch said...

You are blessed to have such a lovely home with the Bunnies and Sabrina and to be able to do the work you love.And you are right when it comes to the social distancing thing some are just clueless and just don't care.All we can do is stay as far away from them as we can.I do the same when I have to get groceries or go to the pharmacy to pick up Nicks meds mask and gloves are on.I am at home from work for now have been for 5 weeks or is it 6 now? I am due to go back to work around the 18th june,but I will be wearing a mask and gloves because of the clueless.Right now I am working on my garden and have a new greenhouse coming next week so I have plenty to keep me busy in my little bubble with Speedy and Nick...stay safe lovely,xx Rachel and Speedy

Lori Ann said...

Loving your thoughts! Home truly is where the heart is. We are so lucky that it's also where the business is!
Very content here watching spring come . . . tho it's taking it's sweet time in Ohio!
Be well and stitch happy!
L

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Shell, good morning! I rarely visit my blog these days since I get more spam than real visitors! To see your kind words this morning filled my heart, they truly did.

You are right. This is a season of darkness that I myself have never experienced as a mature adult. But as we know, darkness is caused by clouds that move on, eventually. Let's be those rays of light that come from an immovable source of light and love.

Frog Quilter said...

Miss seeing your posts and hope you are ok.

Frog Quilter said...

Just checking on you... miss seeing your posts.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...