Tuesday, April 3, 2018

I'm Late, I'm Late!

Well, the first of the month came and went. I started writing my blog post and wanted to finish it yesterday, but that didn't happen. So here we are today. Life just gets in the way and I find being a board member of my local quilt guild has turned into somewhat of a "job." Good gracious....it's like herding cats! LOL!!! Luckily, I love those gals to bits and they are fun to hang out with.

So let's see, what has been going on since we last visited? Well, first, I finished vending my very last quilt show! Woooooooooo hoooooooooo!


Again I had stuff stolen and some obnoxious idea steelers,


but, on the bright side, I met some wonderful people and bunny ears crossed, I will be teaching for their groups next year.

David came with me to vend the show and hang out in Hilton Head. Here's the view from our room. Pretty huh? It was really cold though, so we enjoyed the view from here and only walked on the beach once. Our favorite thing to do together is "house gawk." We can spend hours driving through neighborhoods looking at architecture and yards. Well.... we didn't get to do that either. Every darn neighborhood is gated!! LOL!!! We can understand why as it is such a tourist spot and they don't want all us "nosy" folks gawking at their houses. ;) Needless to say, it really wasn't a fun trip for us and we came home early.


Next, on March 27, I turned 50! I had a nice day reflecting on my life and thinking about the future. My dear friend, Patty, took me out for a latte and a cookie. It was a simple and sweet day. David asked if I wanted to go out for dinner, but we just got home from Hilton Head and I wanted to be home. I actually get tired of eating out. It's always way too much food.


David and I have been together almost 29 years and stopped giving each other gifts a long time ago. We usually just buy what we want and say to each other, "Look what you bought me for my birthday, Christmas, etc." LOL! Yes, aren't we exciting!?! So, this is the handmade soap dispenser he "bought" me for our master bathroom.


And, this is the new office chair he "bought" me. Aren't they both pretty? I love them! Perfect pressies. hee,hee,hee.

Next, I decided to do something special and personal just for me this year. As a designer, I rarely get to do something just for myself as I'm always designing and teaching for others. It's fun and I love what I do, but sometimes I need to create and not write instructions. I decided I would create a body of work called "Within an Inch of my Life."


Each day for the next year, I will stitch something that reflects what is going on in my life. I chose a 1" wool hexagon and various shades of green Valdani perle cotton. Green is my favorite color, it represents life and growth. I wanted to keep the entire piece calm, clean and serene like my true decorating style. I'm sharing each day on my Facebook "The Raspberry Rabbits" page and also on my Instagram page. Hop over and follow along if you like. I'll show the progress here on the 1st and 15th of the month. This is what the first week looks like.


Hopping onto Easter. I purchased this super cutie bunny pan from Williams and Sonoma with the idea that I would make adorable cakes not just for Easter but all year for me and my friends.


Can we say "Epic Fail!" So much for cute little bunnies. They look like lumps of poop! LOL!!! Oh well, we put vanilla ice cream on top and they were darn tasty. I will try a different cake batter and different pan spray. This photo makes me laugh!!


Hannah had a really happy Easter. She and I are both grateful that even though she was an unwanted Easter bunny, she was lucky to end up in a rescue where I found her. Next month will be 7 years.


Every night before bed, I sit on the floor, drink a cup of chamomile tea and pet her. It's a perfect way to reflect on the day and be grateful for everything in my life. It's also something Hannah and I both look forward to. Here's a little note from the inside of the tea box. Cool huh?


Spring is still trying to make a showing. It's been warm the past few days, but may get cold again. I loved this color combination from my walk.


I will end here with Sabrina being her lazy puddy tat self. Her favorite nap spot is on our bed with the gorgeous view of the trees, birds and squirrels in the backyard. Heaven.


Light, love and hugs,
Michelle


21 comments:

Unknown said...

I thoroughly love your blog!! I have a friend who is a vender and she struggles every time with theft. Its very frustrating.

Hey about the cake pan, did you grease (Crisco) and then flour it. Also being a brand new pan it needs to be seasoned. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your blogging work.
Sharon in Colorado

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Lovely post--I have missed hearing about 'you' in your posts--so was really nice to read and see 'you' for once--well--and of course Hannah and Sabrina--love photos of them each time too!!!
Happy Late Birthday--My daughter turns '50' on the 24th of April and I turn '70' in May--and I like your hexie idea--so if I may--I would like to think about doing one for me--with '70' in the center???
and be sure to catch up on my posts as the Harrington and Hannah quilt is all finished and hung up now on the wall--and wait until you see how many hours it took me!!!! But I just love love it--Thanks again for doing that bom!
enjoy, di
Ps and I love your b-day gifts from 'hubby'!!!!

Jeanette said...

Lovely post. Love seeing your progress with you hexagons. They look fabulous. Love your fabulous gifts. Hugs,xx

Petal49 said...

Lovely post and your pressies are wonderful, especially your chair. I do enjoy seeing your hexies emerge everyday.

tink's mom said...

So glad that you got to teach a class at the show before pulling the plug on vending. It is such a pity that there are people out there stealing. Sadly it just doesn't surprise me. Oh and the photo thieves of other peoples ideas are the worst.
Anyhow, glad to see your hexis every day. So you. Looking forward to the path they will lead you down. Hi to Miss Sabrina and Miss Hannah.

RG said...

I love it when BL makes a bad looking cake - (first of all, to cake eaters, looks don't matter) and that means she just keeps trying and trying and I get to keep eating .. oh you get it!

Ah we do miss the bunny time.

Createology said...

Happy Birthday Dear. I love your Life in Inches project. Hannah is so lucky to have you. Sabrina is also so lucky. Stress of vending and being stolen of ideas and product is not worth all the work and effort. Enjoy your week and keep celebrating. Spring is near.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Happy Birthday Michelle! I had to laugh when I saw your little chocolate bunnies and your description of them is perfect.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Shell, wishing you again a fabulous 50th year. I love your style; a simple celebration, a simple yet very profound way to live: ending each day in gratitude, lovin' on your beloved Hannah. So sorry to hear that yet again, you have had people steal from you, and I do think the worse theft is that of ideas. I always think that one way to combat this is to be at least a few steps of others, leaving them unclear about your next creative move. No one can ever do your original idea as YOU can, and that is the only way I can figure out how to survive this.

Be well and I LOVE YOUR NEW CHAIR!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Happy Birthday Michelle! I adore your new chair.
I will enjoy watching your hexagon stitching - what a great idea !
Rose

JudyCinNC said...

Beautiful Michelle - really cute soap dispenser - wonderful chair (so Shell like) - try Baker's Joy spray (never fail for me) and yellow or white cake mix - glad the vendor circus is over for you and I think the teaching/speaking gigs will be rewarding - With that smile you cannot miss. I believe when you reach 50, you deserve a present every month. Hee, hee We are well again after the flu. Love seeing Hannah and Sabrina. Love to you from me judyc

Draffin Bears said...

Happy birthday dear sweet Shell 50 is such a special time. Love your special gifts, the chair and soap dispenser.
Sorry to hear about the theft, and surely people can come up with their own ideas.
Sending love and hugs
Carolyn xo

sunny said...

Love your little inchies. That's a lot of stitching in a very small space. Rumor has it, you met one of my pals, and she's working on arranging a play date in Maryland!!

Karen said...

Yay! you have joined a very special group - the 50's and over!!! Nice people! So lovely seeing Hannah - she is a special bunny and has had a special life with you guys. What a lovely idea to do the wool inches. It will be a lovely memory to make and look back on in years to come. Enjoy all your teaching times with super, lovely people. Karen, Hannah and Baa. xxx

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely birthday gifts and a beautiful view from your hotel. Sorry you had problems at the show.

I love the bunny cake tray and your little cakes!

Lovely photos of Hannah and Sabrina

Susie said...

Glad you had a good time whilst teaching even if you had some negative people, I cannot believe that people steal things from shows!!!

Happy Big Birthday!!! What a great way to celebrate your year and cannot wait to see the progress.

Glad that you have signs of Spring, it is definitely late this year. Love the pictures of Hannah and Sabrina and glad you had a lovely Easter.

Hugs, Susie xx

Martha Austin said...

Hi Michelle! Being a member of the Cabarrus Quilt Guild is so rewarding and having you at our program last evening was a special treat! Thanks for a wonderful show of your beautiful work! My friend will love the patterns and the hug!!

Martha Austin said...

As a member of the Cabarrus Quilters Guild, I truly enjoyed your beautiful work that was presented last evening! You are a true artist and creator of all things beautiful! My friend will love the patterns and especially the “hug”!! Keep up the great work for all quilters everywhere❣️

Linda in Calif. said...

Happy Turning 50! I loved being 50 and I hope you do too. Your husband "buys" the most perfect gifts for you. (hehehe) I like your little inchy idea. It will be beautiful when you are finished.

cocoya said...

Anyhow, glad to see your hexis every day. So you. Looking forward to the path they will lead you down. Hi to Miss Sabrina and Miss Hannah.

ไพ่ออนไลน์

cocoya said...

Lovely post. Love seeing your progress with you hexagons. They look fabulous. Love your fabulous gifts. Hugs,xx
สล็อต ออนไลน์

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...