Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Remembering the Dream - The Houston Quilt Festival

Well hello there!

Another Wednesday has arrived. Time is hop, hop, hopping by. I've been doing a lot of "remembering" lately. I remember how nervous and scared I was to embark on this journey of making The Raspberry Rabbits my full-time job. Can you believe it has been five years now? It went by so quickly.

There has been much this little bunny has had to learn about running a creative business. Much of it learned the hard way. Nobody handed me a manual with a ten step system to success. Nobody explained to this extrovert, people loving, soak er upper of creative energy, how hard it would be to work alone day after day.  Nobody told me how much I would have to struggle with my inner artist and my own creative voice against what the "industry" expects and considers the right path. Also, to be totally honest, nobody told me how much of a huge financial struggle it would be and how it would, at times, drain the creative energy right out of me.



There were many times I thought about throwing in the towel and just plain giving up. I mean if one can't make a simple living at something, isn't it just better to keep it as a hobby? Why would anyone want to work so hard and not get paid, when doing a hobby is fun and enjoyable? But then, the little voice deep down the rabbit hole in my mind whispered and reminded me of why I decided, at the fork in the road five years ago, to take this path.  I remembered  that the gift I was given to share with the world is the gift of teaching and inspiring others. I remembered my dream to, one day, be a teacher at the biggest quilt festival in the world.


I remembered that if I believe in myself and believe hard enough, my dreams would always come true. Well, this year they did. It is with extreme joy and honor in my heart to announce that...

                          


My "Beekeeper" class is being offered on Tuesday, October 31st. Yes, I will be wearing my bunny ears to celebrate Halloween!

I will also be teaching at the Sampler on Friday, November 3rd in which you will receive a demonstration and pattern to create my Dove Postcard.


In addition, if you are in town on Monday, October 30th, my friend, Catherine Redford, has invited me to be on her Iron Quilter Challenge team. Oh what fun that will be!

HOP OVER HERE to the Festival Class enrollment page.

Even if you are unable to take classes, but are still attending the show, I would love to meet you! I will be at "Meet the Teachers" on Thursday, November 2nd, from 5:30 - 6:00. Of course you may also see this little bunny and her ears hopping about this wonderful show. What a privilege it is to be among so many talented teachers who inspire the creativity in all of us.

Remembering the dream that came true.

Hugs and see ya next week!
Michelle

16 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations!! Welcome to the big leagues - so deserving and wish I could attend just to take your Bee class.

Janet said...

So "hoppy" to see your dream coming true. 😊

KittyAnn said...

Michelle, CONGRATS!! It is so true if one wants something badly enough the dream of it will come true! You will be such a hit in Houston! Go bunny go! :) In your very first post on this blog, in 2007, you stated: ..."Tomorrow I will go back to work as Project Manager for a custom home builder. One day though, Monday will just be another day of bliss being my own boss and creating art.".. Well guess what, boss woman, you made it happen!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Ohhh--I am soooo hoppin happy for you--
the time will go fast too and you will be there teaching away--
enjoy the moments, di

The Civil War Quilter said...

Congratulations! Such an accomplishment. Persistence pays off. You will be great. Wish I could attend.

Connie said...

Good for you! I'd say you have done very well! I won't be in Houston this year but I've attended in the past and I know what a wonderful quilt show it is. I predict that you will reap many great things. Best wishes and congrats!

Jeanette said...

I'm so happy for you. Wish i could be there. Hugs,xx

RG said...

You probably wouldn't have read the book nor believed the talkers! And - it's you going to Houston, not them! Congratulations.

Miss Patty said...

I'm so happy for you! Your journey is so inspirational. Thank you!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

As I read your words, I am nodding my head in agreement. Here I am at home, alone. Neighbors and friends work. My husband works. You'd think this silence and freedom would be my ticket to burst into total creativity, right? WRONG. Like you, I am too much of an extrovert. I need people, conversation, bonding and resources in order to fuel those lonely moments of writing. I need models, assistants and a class or two in order to be a better photographer, to better understand my camera and the post-processing. But I've been learning that an artist has to work alone most of the time, that this hard work comes from an inner desire and NEED to practice the craft, no matter what it is.

Your hard work has paid off. You have earned the title to be known as a master teacher. I see this happening in my husband who kicked and screamed at times about changing paths in his career. But now, he's settling into a position that he is grateful for. Yep, we certainly have to pay our dues, and you have.

Congratulations, Shell, for becoming a teacher in one of the biggest shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO, BUNNY!

Createology said...

Huge CONGRATULATIONS Sweet Shell. You have achieved your dream and you will now embrace every wonderfully wacky Bunny minute of Houston Quilt Festival. You are such an inspiration. Five years is really not such a long time after all. Bunny Blessings and Bliss...<3

Erica said...

Fantastic news! See, dreams do come true. I wish I could be there to meet you in person but my thoughts will be right there next to you!

UplayOnline said...

Well guess what, boss woman, you made it happen!


goldenslot
GCLUB มือถือ

Lana said...

Wow. My thoughts exactly...and how thrilled I am with you that you will be teaching at Fedtival! I will see you there!!!

Sherry said...

Such great news. I wish that I could be there, I am so happy for you.

Tina said...

Wow!!! Giant Congratulations!!! This is wonderful news.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...