Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Shannon and the Shutters

Hi ya!

I wanted to start off today by telling you about a visit I had with my dear friend, fellow bunny lover and quilt instructor, Shannon Shirley of Once in a Rabbit Moon. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you will know Shannon from lots of previous posts of when I stayed at her house and taught for her guild.



Shannon taught her Bottles and Blooms class for our guild and also gave us an amazing trunk show of her work. Such fun we had! She has soooooooooo many incredible pieces.


Here she is showing us how to use our Inktense pencil to color our stems. Everyone learned a lot and thanked me for bringing her to our guild. I knew they would love her as much as I do!


Next, the shutter color decision was finalized! Wooooooooooo hoooooooooo! Thank you for commenting. It's really so exciting for me to share this adventure with you. Between here and Facebook, it was almost dead even with no shutters and leaving the shutters, but with a softer color.

I allowed myself several days to just sit and look at the house and the paint swatches in different light. What I figured out is that the house isn't really creamy/yellow at all. It's more of a creamy/grey. All the green colors I was trying to put with it looked awful. So, I decided to do what I like best and that is work in a monochromatic color scheme.


I picked a color that was the closest to our house color and then all the way to the bottom of the paint swatch and picked the darkest version for our front door and the next shade up for the shutters.


Our house looks very similar (just lighter) to Sherwin Williams 7036 Accessible Beige. So I picked 7041,Van Dyke Brown for the door and 7040 Smokehouse for shutters. This soft brownish green did the trick! Shannon loves it and David does too. As for me? Well, I did the happy bunny dance in the front yard. hee,hee,hee



Even Mr. McGregor approved of the color and he doesn't approve of much!


Of course, David wasn't too excited about painting the shutters again and when I offered to do it, he told me "No way!" as I pretty much stink at painting. He did however let me paint the chrome screws. Shannon just had to get a photo. ;)



I will either paint the chairs and porch swing white or....get some brown wicker pieces instead. Hmmmmm....

So, one thing off the list. The landscaping crew should be here in a few weeks. I can't wait to get rid of all the overgrown, dorky looking stuff and the worm eaten grass. It's going to be so pretty.

See ya back here next Thursday for our final block in the Briarside Lane adventure!

Hugs,
Michelle

15 comments:

Sheila said...

I love your colour choices, they are perfect. Love your house 😊

Stephanie said...

I love the chosen colors. What an adventure! Thanks for sharing....I look forward to your posts!

quiltmom anna said...

Sometimes it just takes some ruminating about things to work themselves out. The color choice looks perfect.. Will look forward to see the landscaping too.
Regards,
Anna

Jeanette said...

Great choices of colour. The house looks very lovely. Hugs, xx

Janet said...

Looks fabulous...loved that you "could paint the screws lol " 😊

Janet said...

Looks fabulous...loved that you "could paint the screws lol " 😊

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It looks so lovely!! And thank you for the sweet card you honey bunny!

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

it looks great.

Small changes make so much of a difference.

Baa. xxx said...

Your choices look perfect!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My guy also SCREAMS when I offer to paint. They are the kings of painting and we are their assistants, I guess!!! But all the paint on my clothing and face and arms I guess gives me away..teeeeeee

SHELL! The place looks great! And, paint that swing and chair WHITE! Or, a natural wicker would be fabulous. You're having fun, aren't cha!!!!!

Lesley said...

Your place looks wonderful! And I bet you did an awesome job painting those screws!

Connie said...

The results are excellent. Well done! Happy for you!

QuiltGranma said...

GREAT color choice! It looks WONDERFUL! Looking forward to what other changes will come.

RG said...

As long as there are three colors on the front of the house ...

Sherwin Williams headquarters is (was?) in Cleveland. I went there once working for Boeing - we were going to automate their cash registers all over the world. Didn't work. Sigh - but then we were going to run the Connecticut Off-Track Betting too - didn't work either, but I sure met some "interesting" characters!!

Createology said...

Perfect color choices and your cottage is beautiful. How interesting Shannon's Bottle Flowers are. Inktense pencils...who knew?!!!
I am enjoying your cottage journey. Safe and Happy Memorial Weekend...<3

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...