Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Visit with the Cabin Branch Quilters' - Part 1

Well hellooooooooooo! How are ya? I'm so excited it's September!! Woooooo hoooo! This is my most favorite month of the year. I always feel that September is the kick start to all the wonderful festivities and fun times ahead. Plus, David and I got married in September. This year is number 24. Whew! Time is flying!

Last month, the Cabin Branch Quilters invited me have a Play Date and Chat for their guild. I was super excited to go as I visited with this lively bunch in 2013. I went a few days ahead of time to hang out with my dear friend and fellow textile artist, Shannon Shirley of Once in a Rabbit Moon. Boy did we have some fun! I have lots to show you from this adventure so I'm breaking it down into three parts. Today I thought I would start with the show and tell from the meeting and a few photos from my class. So let's hop to it!

First up is my friend, Kathy. Isn't this pretty? I love all the colors. Of course, all those points make me hyperventilate!

Kathy is one of the sweetest gals ever. She made these adorable bunny bags for me! Thank you Kathy!


She also shared O'Ryan from my first class with them back in 2013. She wants to complete him, but can't remember where she put the leaves in her pile of UFO projects. Too funny!


Kathy was a previously the guild President. The members made her a bunch of beautiful blocks in which she created both of these wonderful quilts.


Next up is the incredible Michelle. This woman is also known as the Energizer Bunny! She does more in one day than most people do in a month. Congratulations to Michelle on getting her Bachelors degree. She is on her way to becoming an attorney. Woo hoo!

This is a quilt she made for her delightful daughter, Adrianna, who is peeking up from behind the quilt. Adrianna wanted to redecorate her room (my kinda girl, hee,hee,hee).


Adrianna took my class as well. She is one of the sweetest, kindest and thoughtful teenage girls I have met in a very long time. She is 14 and plans on going into the air force when she graduates. She would like to become a nurse. Michelle's husband was seriously injured in the war and still has battles with his injuries. My heartfelt thanks to him for his service to our wonderful country.

These are some pillows to further accessorize Adrianna's bed. The pillow that says "Sissy" was made because Adrianna's little brother couldn't say her name when he was small. So he called her Sissy.


Here are a few more fun pieces.


This is one of the Row by Row quilts. Have you done any of them? I have enjoyed seeing what the stores created for this event.


Loved this bag!

These are cute little hot pads. They made me think of you Deece!

She also had some bird quilts. The guild is have a bird quilt challenge. How fun!



Next up is my talented friend, Shannon. This is the quilt she made for the Bird Challenge. However, it is also going to be a class that she teaches!!! She will give you different applique pieces and tell you the meanings of each piece in order for you to create your very own Hex sign. The sign will represent you and your family! Can we say FUN!!! I will be sharing more from Shannon next week so stay tuned!

Ok...just totally stunning!

and stunning!!!

and soooooooothing. Reminds me of the night sky.

This lady had such a fun energy about her which matched the lively colors in her quilts.


She also made these cute bags.



This quilt was incredible. It did not belong to this lady. She was showing it for someone else. This lady is a shop owner who is retiring and got up to say thank you to all the members for supporting her store over the. I thought that was so nice. 



I adore this scrap quilt. I always admire people who can make gorgeous scrap quilts. Every time I try they don't look like scrap, they look like CRAP! hee,hee,hee. I'm just too structured with color.


This lady was asked to make a baby quilt for someone (can't remember who). All I remember her saying is that she was asked to make the quilt because she was the only quilter the lady who asked for it knew. I thought that was pretty funny.



I don't remember the whole story on this piece, but I remember these vintage blocks were given to this lady. I think she found out who made them and then put them all together in a quilt and presented it to a young lady as the blocks were made either by her grandmother or great grandmother. Cool!!

Show and tell ended with three bright and cheerful pieces from this quilter.
POINTS!!! Yikes!!! She rocked them for sure! :) :) :)

After show and tell and the business meeting, I gave my Chat about my "Adventures Down the Rabbit Hole." I have come to believe that life is a series of rabbit holes each with it's own adventure. Sometimes though, the rabbit holes link together.

Before the meeting, I kept noticing a lady sitting close to me. I'm one of those people who never forgets a face and rarely forgets a name. The lady came up to me and I said, "You look sooooooooooo familiar to me. I know I know you from somewhere." She said I looked familiar to her too. We chatted for a few minutes and then it hit us. We worked together 26 years ago at Chi Chi's Mexican Restaurant!!!

Please meet my friend, Ginny! It was really fun to say how in 1989 I started quilting and at the same time I was friends with Ginny. Now 26 years later, our paths crossed once again and we share a common love of quilting. Ginny almost didn't make it to the meeting. She had just returned home after an all day car ride from NY. She was tired, but something kept telling her to go to the meeting so she did. Yay! Happy Bunny Dance!!!


My Play Date (class) was earlier in the day. I had the best time with these gals and I was very proud of them as they made the hardest pattern I have have ever done! I taught this design especially for them. Here are a few of my students.


Michelle and Adrianna. I love that mother and daughter spend time together being creative.

Kay, who is so much fun. She drives two hours to get to the guild meeting!!! So does Michelle!!! What does that tell you about this guild? FUN! FUN! FUN!!

The lovely Jane who did a great job with the difficulty of this project. Go Jane! Go Jane! woo hoo!!

The delightful, retired math teacher, Fran. I really enjoyed chatting with Fran. I think if she would have been my math teacher, I might have been better at math. :)

The sweet petite, Darlene.

The imaginative Leslie. She had some many wonderful ideas about different things to do with my designs. You know you have to do them and show me Leslie! I challenge you!!! :) :) :)

My buddy and bunny bag maker, Kathy.

My super sweet friend, Ginny. Boy oh boy...I can't wait to show you her creative space in part three of this post. You are gonna die!!!

Cindy, who had the most gorgeous fingernails.

My fun friend and number one stalker, Carlene. She is a total riot! I will also be sharing photos from her creative space, "The Quilt Cave," in part three of this post. Stay tuned!



And lastly, Sherri. There was something so calming about being near Sherri. She is soft spoken and very kind. She sat next to me at dinner and I kept thinking there was something just so graceful about her. Later that night, Shannon told me Sherri was a ballerina. Well, there ya have it! ;)


Thank you so very much Cabin Branch Quilters for inviting me for a Play Date and Chat. I had a wonderful adventure down the rabbit hole with all of you!

See ya next Wednesday,
Michelle


14 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a lovely Show and Tell and thank you for sharing it with us. And to show each of your class students with a bit of their personality - makes me feel like was sitting right there with you all.

Createology said...

Shell you truly do have such a wonderful personality and it is easy to see how so many people are drawn to you and your bunny tales. Gorgeous quilts shared. Great bags too. Amazing how sew many got sew much done with your class felt project. Creative Bliss Indeed...

kc said...

What lovely quilts, and lovely ladies! I think it's always interesting to learn about the people and the stories behind their quilts, and I think it's so neat how their personalities come out in their work of art.

I, too, believe that we all meet the people we need or enjoy at specific times in our lives...everything's connected & there's a reason for everything, imho.

Thanks for sharing all the beauty!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning lovely one! Isn't it great to have a strong connection with kindred spirits? The energy just electrifies you ! GREAT ART!!!!!!!

Elvira said...

Que bonitos reportajes , me encanta las personas que hacen patchwork se les ve muy felices
No puedo quedarme con uno , todos me gustan
Besos

Jenny Bonynge said...

Looks like everyone had fun! Creativity and warmth create good times...

RG said...

There is a family member in Ohio who paints hex signs. We have the one you show - but with bunnies all around the outer edge - over the garage doors! Much easier to paint than to stitch!

Sparklyjools said...

Amazing show and tell! And how great to meet an old friend - no such thing as coincidence ! :)

Judy1522 said...

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful quilts. I love to hear stories like the one about you and Ginny. It just shows how some things are meant to be and that we should follow our instincts as Ginny did, it can lead to good things.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my--wonderful quilts, projects and ladies--thanks for sharing all the photos and fun with us!!
In case you missed it--I am in Florida now--not in the new apt yet--just staying with my daughter and learning how to use a cell phone--talk about a change--
smile, di

Christine M said...

Great Show and Tell. Have a wonderful weekend, Shell. Hugs, Christine xx

gsvatek said...

Thanks Shell for the show and tell. Thanks also for the mention here. I've told so many people about our fateful meeting. I so happy our paths crossed again ! As one of your readers said, you have such a sweet personality just as I remember from years ago!

gsvatek said...

Thanks Shell for the show and tell. Thanks also for the mention here. I've told so many people about our fateful meeting. I so happy our paths crossed again ! As one of your readers said, you have such a sweet personality just as I remember from years ago!

Little Miss Titch said...

Beautiful work everybody has done,I wish I could do stuff like that,xx Rachel

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...