Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Seamore and the Sea Turtles

It's been work, work, work around here lately. I will admit that I miss my studio. Trying to work out of this apartment proves to be challenging. It took me three hours to hunt through boxes the other day to put an order together. Oh well, it's only temporary and time is already flying by. We'll be in our new house before we know it.


Going into 2016, I decided to make a few changes to my business. As I begin to travel more and more, meeting new friends and having Play Dates and Chats all around the country, I decided to design six brand new Folk Art Fusion classes exclusively for those participants. Teaching is my passion and I wanted to do something special for those guilds and groups who hire me.

This is Seamore the Seahorse

Seamore is an entrepreneur. He sells his seashells in the "Sand-Dollar-Store." hee,hee,hee. ;) I was inspired to create him as a celebration of my new home in this wonderful beach town.  

Would your guild or group like a Folk Art Fusion play date with the crazy bunny lady? Then hop over HERE for more information. I would love to meet you!

Speaking of living in a beach town, I had a new adventure last Saturday night with my friend, Jean. She and her husband, Dave, are sea turtle volunteers and they invited me to attend an excavation with them. Of course I said YES!


Jean and Dave explained that three days after a nest has hatched, it is excavated. This enables any remaining turtles who have not emerged from the nest to be set free. The trained volunteers extract the turtles and count the number of eggs that were in the nest and then record the data. The public is welcome to observe the baby turtles take their first steps from the sidelines of the turtle trench. The turtles make their way down the trench and plunge into the ocean where they begin their long journey to the gulf stream.





Jean has guard duty as the turtles make their way. The volunteers help the turtles stay in the trench and keep them pointed towards the ocean. They wear gloves to protect themselves from the bacteria the turtles have on them from the eggs.




































I asked Jean why they don't pick the turtles up and just put them near the waters edge. She told me that the turtles must make their imprint on the beach because they will return to the beach where they were born when they mature. 




Then she explained how only one in one thousand turtles will make it to maturity and how they swim currents and the seas all around the world before they return to the place they were born. It takes around THIRTY YEARS!



There were seven babies left in the nest. They were so tiny.

As I watched them go by, I couldn't help but think of all the adventures awaiting them. I also said a little prayer for their safety so they could one day return to this beach.


Before they plunged into the ocean, I wished them "Fair Winds and Following Seas." This is a quote Captain taught me. It's what they say in the Navy when one is leaving.


This is a card the volunteers were handing out. There is lots of good information and so many things I didn't know.


You can read more about this group HERE.



I hope you enjoyed the turtles as much as I did and please contact me if you would like to schedule a Play Date in 2016.

Light, love and hugs to you,
Michelle, the Bunnies and the Sea Turtles too!

17 comments:

Sparklyjools said...

Love, love Seymour - he is gorgeous! What a fantastic job the volunteers do looking after those wonderful turtles!x

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely new design. How cool to get to experience the turtle rescue.

Fiona said...

Seamore is just lovely and I so enjoyed the turtles.. they are so little and so far to go for them.... a wonderful experience. so will there be a turtle design?
Hugz

Shirley said...

Hi Shell, I had fun catching up with you tonight. I love Seamore. He is adorable. It has been raining so much in our area that we haven;t had many horse shows this summer. I thought about you when we went to the Missouri Quilt Shop. I know you will be anxious to get your new home built. The time will fly if it is like the summer which has really flown. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley

RG said...

Enjoyed the sea turtle story - I think people who help the sea turtles really get attached to them! I also liked the little hand-out card. It tells us what to do to help and a bit of why. Right to the point!

You got a turtle desoign coming along?

Kris said...

WoW!! That is soooo cool!! And those little guys are tiny!! 30 years before they get to come home?? That's kinda sad!! Seamore is wonderful!! I love the colors and the design!! Sand-Dollar-Store!! Ho! Ho! Ho!

TerriSue said...

How very exciting! I have always wanted to see sea turtles hatch. What an experience. I hope you feel more at home as time goes by.

Jeanette said...

Oh Seamore is so cute. Would love a play date. "sigh" maybe one day. I love watching baby turtles heading down the beach. They are so cute & adorable. Hugs, xx

KaHolly said...

That's quite an adventure! Love how you commemorated it with a new and fun design. Being inspired by nature is such a wonderful thing.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

The sea has so many wonders to witness....and these mysteries when they wash ashore onto our lives are hard to forget, and help us forget our challenges. I LOVE NATURE! Oh Shell, how are ya? I hope your new home will go up as fast as this summer is flying by...too fast!

Hugs to you and all your beloved. Anita

JudyCinNC said...

A beautiful adventure for you with the turtles - I love Seymore and understand why you love the teaching aspect. Good for you to branch out. Fair Winds Following Sea Turtles . Hee, hee. Please do a sea turtle. Judy C in NC

Linda in Calif. said...

What a wonderful adventure. Thank you so much for sharing. It was very interesting. I had no idea the group did all this for them. I'm a big fan of turtles, probably because we had them as kids.

Createology said...

New beginnings for you and your business and adventures in life is a wonderful journey you are on dear. Seamore is gorgeous in his shades of ocean blues. I hope you have lots of play dates all over this vast country we live in. What an interesting turtle experience. I had no idea of anything involving sea turtles and am very thankful to learn about them. Blessings Busy Bunny Lady Enjoying Summer...

Deb said...

Oh Shell, what a wonderful miracle to be witness to, I adore sea turtles and applaud the work of dedicated groups such as these, how amazing to get the opportunity to participate! Seamore is wonderful and I can't imagine any guild not leaping at the chance to have you come and teach one of your wonderful classes! Wishing you every success with your new endeavor and wishing each of those little sea turtles safe journeys till they make their way home to their natal beach.

kc said...

We happened upon a turtle release one evening at NAS Mayport, and it was simply amazing. I tried to find my video of it to link for you, but apparently, it's gone the way of old computers....

I'm loving Seamore and his Dollar Store...just the right colors for our new house too! Looks like your new digs are already inspiring new coastal decor. Wishing you peace & love!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

teeehee....how I love nature, and the animals. You and I, we are soul sistas, loving creatures great and small.

You are a peach. Thank you for coming to visit my post today, Shell. I hope all is going well? SOON you will have a new cottage/house to share with us!

Give the furballs a hug for me. Anita

tink's mom said...

Thank you so much for sharing the pics of the turtles. So sweet. Wishing them well. I also love the sea horse very beachy.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...