Monday, July 19, 2010

No worries. We have napkins.

I'll admit it...I love pretty napkins. I guess I just love the texture of the paper, the pretty designs and the fact that they make simple things like cheese and wine look even more special.

I have a nice little collection of napkins and I like to give them as gifts too. And, yes, I do recycle them or use them in art projects. I have napkins all over the place. Even in the car. My sister picks on me about how all my stuff has to be "pretty."

Two weeks ago, my sister and my nieces and nephew; Laura 9, Jonathan 8 and Noelle 6 came for a visit. They haven't been to my house in over 2 years. As my sister likes to say, "not for lack of trying." It's just that I was working five jobs for a while (knew the layoff was coming and wanted to keep my house) and she had a daycare business in her house and her own three kids to keep up with while trying to get her new safety business off the ground. Time just flew by us.

I was so excited to finally spend time with them and I convinced them to stay an extra day. I thought it might be fun to take my sister to see a piece of property that David and I bought a couple of years ago. It's at the beach, but don't get excited, it's not on the beach. Although, you can see the sound from the lot. I call it my retirement property. Not that I plan to ever live there as it is out in the boonies, but I plan to sell it one day and use the money to retire. With the housing market as it is, I'm sure that will be twenty some years from now, but that's ok.

So anyway, I ask my sister if she would like to go see the property and have lunch at a cute little restaurant on the island. "Sure," she says.  Now, for some reason, I guess because I was thinking about my sister, I don't have kids and because maybe I'm a neat freak and maybe because I know I will just look at the property and not dig in sand or step in mud, or get wet, that I fail to remember there is a 9, 8 and 6 year old in the car! Hello!!!

I mean did I honestly think they wouldn't want to get out of the car, run to the beach and dig in the sand for crabs?

Did I really think they wouldn't go in the water and get mud on their butts?

Did I not realize they would want to walk on the beach barefoot and get sandy footsies?

(Noelle saying "what?" with her toothless smile. Oh yeah and uncle David convinced her to just rip out the other loose front tooth while she was here! Let's just say blood and spit and leave it at that. Uncle David!!!!)

My sister looks at me and said "You didn't bring any towels did you? What were we thinking?"
I turned to her and said, "No worries, we have napkins." To which we both broke out into hysterical laughter. And yes, it is a family trait that when we laugh really hard we snort.

13 comments:

Barb said...

Too funny....

Adorable children, I can see that you had a fun time with them...

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

You are just like me==prepared for everything--except for what it is you really do need at the time!!!!
Photos are great--thanks for sharing!!
Hugs, Di

Just Ramblin' said...

What a great time you all had! So glad you could all be together. Nola

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Such a cute story! I bet you really had fun having your sister's kidlets around. Thanks for sharing the cute pictures!
xoxo
Donna

The French Bear said...

Shell, how wonderful, I miss the days of taking my kiddies to the beach!! Looks like you all had fun and good thing you had the napkins!!!
Hugs,
Mags

Janet said...

Aren't sisters just the best!! Love when I spend time with my sisters and laugh. Glad you had a great time.

RG said...

We got napkins all over too .. we got a cat. (Want him?)

Beach - kids - fun - mess.

Allie said...

I could probably make my own beach, with all the sand I've had in my car over the years - we have "beach" quilts in the car year round, quilts that are nice but not perfect. We use them on the beach, for sitting, wiping, drying feet.
I laughed so hard at your post tonight - thanks so much for sharing! That toothless grin is the BEST!

Hef's Mom said...

My favorite store ever, Christmas Tree Shops, always has pretty napkins, now I know a great gift for you!

Gretchen said...

What an absolutely beautiful, illustrated story about you and your sister's trip to see your 'retirement' property. It reminded me of the times when my four kids couldn't refrain from enjoying a beautiful experience much to the dismay of my friends. Oh, and thank you for visiting my studio at Amanda's Baskets and leaving your comments. And I will be hopping to your blog regularly. Thanks for the laugh today.

Mandy Saile said...

Lovely Shell:D I am so glad you got to spend time with your family..I have a 8 year old neice I don't get to see enough, we all lose track of important family, as long as we come together in some beautiful moments, if not often enough than atleast once inawhile...XO M.

Shirley said...

Hi Shell, I had a chuckle as I read your post tonight. I can just see the fun and enjoyment that you had with the kids. You made a wonderful memory with them and that is one thing that they can not take away from us. Enjoy every minute because you never know what tomorrow will bring. take care Your Missouri Friend.

SheilaC said...

Thanks for sharing all the great pics and stories about your nieces and nephew!! They are just beautiful kids :)

SheilaC

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...