Wednesday, October 18, 2017

"In a Fix" - The Back Deck

Hello there my friends! I'm so excited as today was the first real "Fall" day we have had. It feels so wonderful outside! I also adore the sunlight this time of year. It has the most wonderful glow in the late afternoon and the way it bounces off the trees and peers in through my windows is peaceful. Sabrina and Hannah think so too as they are always taking naps in a sunbeam. ;)

Today I wanted to share with you the next little "In a Fix" project we have done to our cottage. It took David forever as it rained and rained from August through mid September and when it wasn't raining, he was working on Saturday. As I have mentioned before, he won't let me paint as I'm a messy painter. I'm just the designer and truthfully, that's just peachy with me! ;)

Our deck was a bit of a mess. The previous owners replaced some of the boards, but everything was needing a good pressure washing and a fresh coat of paint. Here's the before photos.


We have a really nice built in bench area with storage underneath. We don't put anything in there though as we don't have lots of stuff and we figure the spiders claim most of the space anyway. ;)


There were several boards here and there that David replaced.


The boards up against the screened porch are to "try" and keep the critters out. Doesn't work very well. I found four tree frogs and a lizard taking a nap under the cushions on the couch. Little buggers. They were cold and looking for a nice place to keep warm. I didn't disturb them, but told they I would truly appreciate it if they didn't poop on the cushions that we just cleaned. hee,hee,hee.


We have the most beautiful trees in our yard and a wonderful forest behind us. There are two big owls who live back there. David has seen one of them and it scared him to death when it landed in a tree near him. I hope I get to see them. I always hear them hoot, hoot, hooting in the early evening. It's so magical.



I wanted to paint the deck a warm brown color that would not only blend in nicely with the house, but also with the wood fence and the trees. The small picket fence back there will be removed. We're not sure why the previous owners had it. All we can think is that they used it for a doggie poo poo area. If the home owner's association would let me have an Alpaca, I would get one to put there...or maybe some fuzzy sheep....or maybe some pygmy goats....or maybe a miniature horse. hee,hee,hee.

Here's how our deck looks now. I really love it! Oh, and we added another birdhouse back there. I hope some little birds move in next Spring. Hannah bunny has been shedding like crazy. I have been saving her fur for the birds. They will have really swanky birdhouse. ;)






Well, it's back to work for me. I have tons of things to get finished before I leave for Houston on the 29th. Have a great weekend!

Hugs and friends,
Michelle

12 comments:

RG said...

Listen to the hooting and see if you can figure out what kind!!

Bunny lady does the deck painting around here. Did she ever mention how, back in our bunny rescue days, she almost got us a retarded alpaca? It was a troubled little fellow being picked on by others in the herd. I would be living in Texas now if she did of got it!

Very nice looking deck! - when will you carve the jack-o-lanterns?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

It looks very pretty but I wouldn't want anything with a home owners association involved - just me but I don't like having fees and rules

Jeanette said...

Love your back deck. It looks wonderful. Great backyard too. Hugs,xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Shell, this is just beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a lovely cottage you have, and isn't the feeling of having such a shelter so heart-warming? Ruben put in some faux beams in my studio, a project I had asked him to do as a Christmas present. It was hard work; I helped him hold up the slats as he drilled into the ceiling. WOW, what that hard, but is my studio ever so gorgeous now, with a hint of old world timbering. Our homes are special, and your cottage has taken such a charming shape. Give a hug to the critters and have a blast of fun in Houston!!!

Susie said...

It looks great now. We have a deck in the garden and need to do that next spring, it has lasted a few years since we last did it so definitely a spring job. Love the garden too. Have a great time in Houston Hugs, Susie x

Miss Patty said...

Wow! The deck looks great! I love seeing the progress on your cottage.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love your back yard--how peaceful and homey it looks--and I bet come spring there will be some flowers added her and there!! David did a beautiful job on the deck--I can see you out here stitching away!! and coming up with new designs all the time--
enjoy the moments,di

Binka said...

Nice calming color scheme. Are you also removing the stockade fencing along with the pickets?

tink's mom said...

Great job. Love the view from your deck. A lovely place to let your imagination run wild. An alpaca would be nice. Can't wait for you to meet the owls and post pictures and name them and on and on.

sanpiseth40 said...

I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
ตารางคะแนนบุนเดสลีกา

Natascha said...

Love your screened in porch- I bet your bunny and cat love it too!

Createology said...

Your deck looks lovely and David did a wonderful job of repairing and painting. How very kind and thoughtful of you to allow the critters to remain if they become potty trained...Good Luck with that one! Lizards poop a lot but I have never seen our tiny frogs make any mess at all. Autumn really does have a magical glow to the sun and moon light. Happy Deck Lounging...<3

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...