Saturday, July 1, 2017

Briarside Lane - Finale Challenge

Hello dear friends,

Well, we have made it to the grand finale of Briarside Lane. Here's what the finished quilt looks like. It measures 44 x 56. I have it pinned to my design board if you are wondering what those little pearl dots are. hee,hee,hee.



I decided I wanted each piece simply framed with sashing fabric and one large border. When I tried to add patchwork around the blocks, it took away from the blocks. Also, it was in competition with the embroidery. The blocks just didn't feel as special to me and I wanted them to be a reminder of how much I loved this journey so the patchwork was out for me.



Each month was just as exciting and just as much a mystery to me as I didn't know what Jules' paintings would look like. I got them one at a time just like you. As a designer I found this to be a most wonderful challenge. Textile artist Karen Nicole said, "Collaboration takes you out of your comfort zone." I couldn't agree more. This process allowed me to stretch myself and really hone in on my Folk Art Fusion style.



Jules enjoyed the journey too as she was free to simply paint and write from her imagination. Two things she is truly gifted with. Didn't you love reading about each stop?



During this journey I realized lots of things I really LOVE to do and lots of things I no longer want to do. That is what a creative journey is all about isn't it?


Hand work, wool and embroidery bring me so much joy. I can sit and stitch for hours and never be bored.



Hand work is portable so I always have something to work on with my Stitch and Chat group on Thursdays.



Jules said it best in a recent email to me.

 "It’s that physical connection that you just do not get with electric sewing machines/computers. To me they are very useful implements for carrying out a task, but  with a needle and thread in your hand you are really engaged and connected with the fabric on a purely personal level.It’s where the ‘art’ part comes for me, your stitches are your own, not created by a machine." 

It's exactly how I feel and I'm drawn more to textile art, more so than quilting. Remember, you don't have to make this into a quilt. This is your journey to create as you like. If you make the blocks into something else, please do share!


Going forward Jules and I have already started working on 2018's adventure. It's called Wonderland Woods. We'll keep you posted as the details unfold. We are truly looking forward to sharing another creative journey with you.

The finale pattern is FREE, so HOP on over to the SHOP to get it. 



Thank you so very much for being a part of The Raspberry Rabbits family. We love you bunches!
Michelle, Jules and the Bunnies

9 comments:

Jeanette said...

Your hanging looks fabulous. Love it. Looking forward to seeing next years adventure. Hugs, xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Ahhhh, "Wonderland Woods" - now that sounds like the perfect endless summer adventure, Shell and Jules!

This came out SO gorgeous, with every stitch and cut so perfectly treated. I agree with Jules that a literal "hands on" project is much more satisfying than anything done on a machine.

HAVE FUN, you two!!

Petal49 said...

It looks lovely all finished. I'm just putting the finishing touches to the last one then will think of what fabrics to use to add the finishing touch. I have loved every stitch along the way.

Frog Quilter said...

Love the little surprises in the blocks. Like the windmill blocks.

Sparklyjools said...

I'm thrilled to see it all together; a wee bit sad that the journey is complete, but looking forward to our exciting new adventure!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your blocks Re so wonderful.

Createology said...

So very lovely to showcase your beautiful blocks. I agree with hand work being magical as it truly lends itself to our own individual styles, techniques and quirks. I shall be looking forward to "Wonderland Woods" with you and Jules in collaboration however I do no want to rush any days along because they are already zooming. Summer Smiles Sweet Shell...<3

Christine M said...

I love it!

Danice G said...

Beautiful quilt Michelle. Your work is superb.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...