Monday, March 3, 2014

My Friend and Fiber Artist, Laurie Ceesay

Helloooooooooooooo! Did you have a fun weekend? I sure did! The Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival was such a blast! I will show you photos of the quilts starting next Monday.

Today I am delighted to introduce you to my friend and fellow fiber artist, Laurie Ceesay.


I met Laurie when we were taping for Series 1300 of Quilting Arts TV. I knew right away she was a FUN lady. Just look at this quilt she calls Mad as a March Hare. This quilt was created for a challenge on homonyms, which she chose hare/hair and carrot/carat. The eyes were inspired by Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland and well, of course, you know I looooooooooove the gray hares! This quilt one a blue ribbon in a regional show and was juried into the 2012 Road to California show.



I am truly honored to be featured in this series with soooooooooo many talented women. I still get goosebumps!


Laurie's work is focused on portrait quilts. She is also a hairdresser who is fascinated with hairstyles, makeup and replicating the human form into fiber.  Helloooooooooooooo Tina Turner! Isn't this magnificent?


I think her quilts are happy and fun!


She likes working with bright colors, large scale prints and batiks.


Laurie also makes self portrait quilts.



Love her glasses!


So many wonderful details.




Laurie will be teaching at the Houston International Quilt Festival this coming October! If you are attending the festival, be sure and sign up for her classes. I know you will enjoy every minute with this talented lady.

Now hop on over and visit her blog HERE.   Tell her me and the bunnies said hi!


Finally, I want to leave you with this little thing circulating around Facebook. Honestly, this is the truth to how I feel every single day. I know Laurie does too.

See ya Wednesday!
xx,
Michelle and the Bunnies

12 comments:

Christina said...

Those are all amazing.

Starr White said...

Oh! Laurie's quilts are amazing!! I love when you share the work of other artists here…so generous and kind..plus I get to learn about new folks all the time! And oh - my - word!! that quote is sooooooo true! Sometimes I wonder if I'm really creative at all, but that is exactly what my brain feels like, so I must be! thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

wow michelle she is amazing,thankyou for sharing those lovely pics.xx

Anonymous said...

wow michelle she is amazing,thankyou for sharing those lovely pics.xx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I agree - just amazing pieces and thank you for sharing more insight into another quilter.

Little Miss Titch said...

beautiful quilts Shell so full of envy now being unable to do stuff like this,oh well never mind,xx Rachel

bunnits said...

Wow! Lovely quilts. I especially love, love, love the March Hare/hair one.

Kris said...

WOW!! What an amazing artist Laurie is!! Everything you showed us is incredible but I think Tina is my fave!! Thank you so much for sharing such a fun artist with us!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Those portrait quilts my friend, they are just exquisite. There is so much positive creativity to achieve, I wish more people wlils engage in ot more!!!! Love to you and the bunsters!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Sorru for the errors, I am typing ffom my tablet!!!

Createology said...

Laurie's quilts are amazing. Doing a self portrait isn't easy yet hers look fabulous. The details she achieves are delightful...right down to the reality wrinkles. Happy Clap Along Monday Bunnyville!!!

~Laurie~ said...

Thanks for introducing us to Laurie - she does amazing work. So talented to be able to put real life into quilt form. Cool!

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...