Monday, March 10, 2014

Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival - Recap week 1

Oh what fun it was! I do love this show. It is on my dream list to be an instructor here one day. I would love to share Folk Art Fusion with friends at this show. I have been attending it for over 20 years.

This was the 25th anniversary of the show. The theme for the quilt challenge was "A Silver Lining." I love it! Here are some highlights from the show. I'll be sharing more with you every Monday for the next few weeks.

I want to start off Alice in Wonderland. You know I'm a huge fan! This piece was part of the Hoffman Fabric Challenge

Down the rabbit hole is what I call my chats. I love this piece! Bravo Sheila Riess!



This next piece just touched my heart so very much because Harrington and Hannah are rescue bunnies. This quilt is all about an animal shelter called Nine Lives Animal Shelter.

Of course the bunnies caught my eye.

Such beautiful thread sketching on these bunnies.

Bless you Ann Horton for creating such a beautiful and touching piece.  Rescue pets do indeed bring joy and love to our hearts and home.

 Another beautiful quilt in tribute to rescue animals.

Look at that darling little face.

Thank you Barbara McKie for making such a touching quilt. Yes, shelter animals do indeed dream of having a forever home. Thank you to everyone who adopts a shelter animal.


This quilt just made me smile. I pictured myself riding in a sleigh drawn by these beautiful horses (drinking lots of coffee because it's freezing and I can't handle the cold! ha!)





Although I do not believe in animal fighting, I thought the colors and craftsmanship of this quilt was gorgeous.


Also, Susan is from my home town of New Bern. This is a beautiful quilt.




I must say I did the Happy Bunny Dance when I visited Julie of Auntie Ju's Quilt shop! I went in to introduce myself and tell her I thought my book would be the perfect fit for her shop. Little did I know she already carried it! Ok, so then you add "Auntie" and the fact that she is from my most favorite place ever, Wilmington, NC and I was just about to pop with excitement! Julie vends at most of the big shows and lots of smaller ones. Be sure and visit her and tell her me and the bunnies said hi! She is a super great lady!

Finally, I have to share something very special. I am over the moon, happy bunny dance, so darn excited, that my aunt Deb has hopped down the rabbit hole and joined me in the fun world of quilting. While we were at the show, she purchased her first Bernina. I spent most of the day Saturday giving her a few quilt lessons. I know she is going to be such a great quilter. It's truly very special for me to have a family member to create with and someone who "gets" my artsy weirdoness! hee,hee,hee. Love you so much Deb!


One last thing is a HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout out to my mom, Ellen! Her 71st birthday is today! Have a super sparkly day mom! Love you! :)


Well, it's going to be a very busy week around here. In fact, most of my days are just flying by right now. I seem to look up and it's 2:30 in the afternoon and then it's 6:00 p.m.! I hope your days are fun and inspiring.

See you back here on Wednesday.
xx,
Michelle and the Bunnies

13 comments:

Christine M said...

What beautiful quilts. Thanks for showing them to us, Shell. Happy birthday to your mum.

Kris said...

Great post, Shell!! wonderful quilts and congrats to Aunt Deb!! A Bernina - smart girl - I'm sure with niece's help!! ;-)) Glad you had so much fun!!

Starr White said...

thanks for sharing these wonderful photos from the quilt show…so much amazing talent out there. And I'm so happy for you that your aunt Deb has joined in the fun. It's so much nicer when you have someone who totally gets it!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW WOW WOW! How in the bunnyhill do people make such perfectly made things????????? THAT BUNNY FACE, that Alice, those horses and dogs? Michelle, you are in the pink. You are in your niche and bravo to you. Doesn't it feel good to be doing what you love? YIPEEEEEEEEE!

Lesley said...

Thank you for a wonderful show! How exciting to have your aunt joining the quilting world! And special birthday wishes to your mom!

The Slow Quilter said...

I was at the Show on March 1st. it was great and the quilts were just berath taken and I hop that some day I will reach the hights of the faber artis on display.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing some show highlights. How fun to have a family member start quilting. So great to share your passion!

Karen M said...

What a gorgeous bunch of quilts, shell! I love the look of strength on that Alice's face. She makes a very powerful Alice. And that one checkered bunny who holds his ears like Jensen? Love him! Hope your Aunt really enjoys her new machine. Hugs!

Sparklyjools said...

Amazing quilts. I've no doubt you will get to instruct at the show - and sooner than you think!

Go Aunt Deb, that's brilliant!!! Hope your Mom has a really lovely birthday. xxx

Createology said...

There are such an array of talented folks who create fabulous amazing quilts. How fun to have your Aunt quilting with you. Happy Birthday to your Mom!

CARMEN S. said...

Ay! Los quilts son tan hermosos! Y los animalitos, los conejos, los perros... son tan reales, tan lindos! Me encanta todo! Gracias por compartir! Felicitaciones a la mami por su cumpleaños!

Abrazos desde Colombia!

Barb said...

Awesome quilts!!! Happy Birthday to your mom!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Shell,

So wonderful to see all the exquisite quilts - thanks for sharing.
Love them all but adore the sweet bunnies face.
Glad that your Aunt is now stitching along - you will have fun!
Also belated birthday greetings to your Mum.
Hugs
Carolyn

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...