Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Drawing and Writing by Hand - My new sketchbook

I can't help it. I still love paper. I love paper especially when my computer, smarter than me phone, and iPad all decide to have an issue at the same time.


A lot of people think I'm kind of nuts that I still draw all my designs by hand instead of using all the fancy computer programs available. But, drawing by hand is my most favorite part of the design process. I love the feel of the paper, how my brain tells my hand to guide the pencil, how I get lost in a song and end up doodling something fun. A computer mouse and keyboard just aren't the same. Plus, what I draw and write on paper is always there...always.

Of course, my blog is my online journal which I share with you, but in addition, I also keep a handwritten journal. My dear friend, Karen of Rabbits Eat Quilts, made this for me as a gift. I absolutely love it and I can refill it with notebooks as I go.


Have you seen the show TV show, Grimm, that comes on Friday nights? David and I love watching this show. If you have seen it, you know that Nick often goes to his aunt's camper to research a particular "Vessen" by looking through all the old sketchbooks and ledgers his aunt created.

I love how those books look. They are old, worn, and filled with wonderful drawings. Often I envision what it would be like to be surrounded with all those books. I would find a comfy spot, grab a cup of tea and get lost in the magic of the pages.


I decided I wanted a book like that. A book where I would draw and doodle and write down whatever I wanted about the week. I decided I would call it my "Book of Sundays." Starting in the new year, I will sit down every Sunday with my book and spend thirty minutes or so sketching, coloring and writing whatever wants to hop out of my head. So much of my days are spent designing and writing instructions for Folk Art Fusion, that I rarely do anything else. I want to do something that is just for fun and just for me. I actually think this is a good way to keep my creative juices flowing. It's easier to let things flow when there is no deadline attached to it.




This is the book I purchased from an artist. It is entirely handmade. The cover looks and feels like leather, but it isn't. The design was punched into the material. The pages are perfect for pen, pencil and even paints. It measures 13" x 10" so I have plenty of space to play.

 
Maybe one day, after I croak, my nieces and nephews will want to look through them. I'm sure they will say, "Can you believe she didn't use a computer? Auntie really was a dorky bunny lady." hee,hee,hee.

See ya Friday for Hoppy Friday. I already know one thing I'm grateful for...Geek Squad. They spent 6 hours today fixing my computer. It sure is nice not needing Tech Support for my fingers. ;)

xx,
Michelle and the Bunnies

22 comments:

Jeanette said...

Nothing beats paper for drawing on. Love you new books. Hugs,xx

KaHolly said...

I was just having this conversation with my sister yesterday! I still prefer paper and pencil when I create. Just love your new notebook, and am drooling over the journal Karen made you. I have one to make when I get to TX. I hope it comes out as cute!! Hoppy day! ~karen

Anonymous said...

I still love mailed notes from the hand...it just seems more personal.

Deb said...

I'm like you Shell, always draw my designs on paper, then cut them out and play to make sure everything will look all right. Computers are convenient and fast but not the same as setting pencil to paper. Same with books, I know that 'readers' are all the rage but I need to feel the weight and smell the ink on the paper when I read a book. LOVE your new journal, what a beautiful cover to inspire you and keep all your creative thoughts and drawings safe and sound. I'm sure your nieces and nephews will say of you "She was so talented and magical, we are so lucky that we have this wonderful remembrance of her!". Brave you to watch Grimm, it scares the heck out of me!! Hugs to the bunnies (and to you of course!), Deb

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have the techy stuff, but still use the paper and pencil and 'real' math. Very special journal cover.

Lois Evensen said...

I understand completely. As techy as we are, I like paper for drawing out my knit and crochet designs, too. It's all drawn out with computations of inches and stitches in the margins.

RoseMary Baty-Willcox said...

I love Paper also. I love your idea of "Book of Sundays. What artist did your new book?

Unknown said...

I LOVE Grimm!
I love it so much, that when I found a copy of the complete works by the Brothers Grimm, I snatched it up quick. I enjoy reading the stories. Karen rocks, and so does the journal cover she made for you. She is not blogging much these days...I hope Buttercup and Jensen are still in love.

RG said...

A #2 Ticonderoga - nothing like it! Got a couple of boxes of them.

(By the way - when we work outside in the field and make notes around here we use "write in the rain" paper. You have to write and sketch with pencil on that!)

Jillayne said...

Oh, what a book Shell... what an amazing looking book! How can you not be inspired, with a journal like that.
I think your idea is a wonderful one - I haven't seen the show but will most definitely look for it now to see the books you speak of.
i also do my sketching the hard way, usually on graph paper like you show here, and always with my eraser at hand...

Karol R Johns said...

What a beautiful journal and lovely idea!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Like you dear one, I love the feel of paper, the caress of the book cover, and the fact that I can hug a book and fall asleep with it only to wake and continue....a computer just doesn't provide that!

Oh my friend, how are you? Anita

Kris said...

You are a dear, Shell and I love your journals!! Journals are the reason we know so much about the big movement to the West during the pioneer days - some of the pioneers were wonderful about keeping journals and they are still read today by many!! So, I bet your nieces and nephews will love the "old fashioned" way their dorky bunny Auntie let the world know who she is and, someday was!! :-))

Denise SA said...

I love the feel of drawing on paper but maybe the younger generation will be more comfortable with computers.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I still use paper for writing my poetry and for doodling too. I think thre's something much more natural about drawing on paper.

Sandi said...

What a gorgeous handtooled book, may you enjoy it for many Sundays to come. There is something about the feel of pencils against paper that will never be copied by techie tools.

Createology said...

How wise of you to treat yourself with this gorgeous journal and plan on spending quality time just for you within its pages. I would love to be able to draw with paper and pencil/pen/crayons whatever...if only I could. December Delights Dear...

Judy1522 said...

I think it is great that you draw on paper instead of the computer. Like I always say all it will take is for one of those satellites to go out and people will be wishing they had remembered how to do things the old way.

Barb said...

Dorky bunny lady?? Don't think so.....

Little Miss Titch said...

more tangible with paper,just makes it seem more real,I love my journal the Karen sent too,xx Rachel

Sparklyjools said...

Paper rules!

Loving that fab journal - scrummyumptious.x

StitchinByTheLake said...

Gorgeous - both of them! I just made a half dozen journal covers for gifts and plan to make several more. I love writing and have several friends who will enjoy them, even if only to make grocery lists in. :) blessings, marlene

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...