Sunday, August 10, 2008

Unstructured Time and the Wandering Mind




I Loooovvvve it. I truly do. It is the best gift I can ever get... Unstructured Time that is. I took this past Friday and tomorrow, Monday, off from my full time job to enjoy some things about my part time jobs. I still have a load of vacation hours from my full time job and the little voice in my head said, "hey stupid your worn out, tired, exhausted, cranky, and fed up. Take a day or two off." Sometimes I really like that little voice.
So with that said, I took some well deserved time off. I decided to vacation at my favorite place, home. I love my house and work very hard to pay for it. The sad part is that I never get to enjoy it much because I'm working so hard to pay for it. Kinda stupid when you think about it, but in theory, it will be paid for by the time I'm 48. Then I'm free!!!
I've spent the past few days doing things as I feel like doing them not because it was some structured time schedule I had to keep. I find that many "creative" people find it hard to be "creative" when they are on structured time. I mean you can't just sit there and go "ok, you just worked 10 hours at one job, went to another job, now sit here and be creative for one hour even though you can't hold your eyes open and you have a tone of chores to do." Most creative people have to be able to let their mind wander to look at possibilities in a piece of art, to look at different colors, fabrics, embellishments, etc. It just doesn't happen in a structured time frame. The mind needs to wander. At least for me it does. All I do is get overwhelmed, stressed and totally depressed. Then the little voice say's, "Snap out of it Dorkwad!"

So, since I have had a few days of Unstructured Time, the little voice that has been squashed out by way to many responsibilities has surfaced and shouted really loud, "Let them eat cake!" Thus, I have created several items with a cake theme. They are on my site The Raspberry Rabbits It was fun, the ideas flowed, and best of all it was Unstructured Time that my mind could wander."

Have a great week and here's to a happy wandering mind.
Hugs,
Shell
This week IGF, the little voice that knows me so well.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shell

I love the altered tags, they are awesome. Don't you just love unstructured time!

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Cottage Flair said...

Michelle,
I absoulutely love what you created!! They are so unique and just wonderful. And I always enjoy reading your humorous posts.
Jennifer

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Michelle ~
Those are just beautiful !!! I love them !
xoxo,
Lori

Cara said...

Love what your wandering mind came up with! Beautiful and inspirational as usual! Unstructured time sure is a commodity isn't it.

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Michelle,

What you have described about unstructured time and creativity was exactly how I felt. I had a 3 days break for the weekend holidays, had some well deserved rest at home and had the luxury time to really sit down and do my miniatures. It was just a luxury for me.

Well done for taking some time off your full time job! You deserve it!

Pei Li

Janet L Christian said...

Wow, this is some of the prettiest alter art i've seen. I love the cake altered art picture.

Anonymous said...

OK..Miss Frenchy...as in let them eat cake...and you ever notice how skinny those French women are...they are eating no cake...speaking of unstructured time...welcome to my unstructured mind...yikes!
Susan *dutchrose*

Inka Smith said...

Shell,
Great post..very true about the time frame. I face that everyday. I love the cake!!! Very nice.
Inka

Cathy said...

Michelle,

I adore those tags. I want some!!!

xo, Cath

Anonymous said...

I just love them!!! And I totally get what you mean about the unstructured time!

Noelle Garrett Designs said...

Michelle,
Nothing is better for creating than unstructured time. It can really help you to renew and get that creative vibe back. Just lovely things by the way!
Carrie

Carolyn Kocman said...

i am so glad the little voice calls you dw too. heehee!!! cool stuff. so glad you have gotten in touch with your inner dw.

Silena said...

Hi Michelle,
Please, please make more unstructured time for yourself...the results are amazing! Your little quilts are just as beautiful as can be...love them!!

Finding Grace, Going Mobile said...

Hi Michelle,
I think you spoke for most of us. Work, work, and more work make artists dull girls indeed. Make sure you have a Tea Party with Chunky Bunny and Friends, okay? And let them eat cake, Carrot Cake, teehee. You always bring out the dorkwad in me for some reason!
Blessings,
Theresa @ Cottage Violets

cathy said...

They look so yummy! Love the pink colors!

Carolee Crafts said...

Hi Michelle

Love your creative time makes, the colors are just perfect.

Caroline

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Michelle,
The tags are adorable and already sold, no surprise!
Have a great week!
Helene
www.sistersgiftcompany.com

Gaby Bee said...

I agree with all the above comments, these tags are just beautiful!

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...